Passport KSA

Hi everyone
I  heard the passport of employee is not kept by employer now is it new rule implement in KSA?
Can I travel on my expenditure to india in three months one ?
Will company grant leaves?
Pl share your valuable information

Hello sanjay physio,

You were  :offtopic:  from your previous thread, so we created a new one in the Saudi Arabia forum.

In this way you will, I hope get better responds.

Good Luck!
Marjorie

The MoL (min. of labor) is strictly implementing the rule since last year that employers should not keep the passports of employees in their office.  This rule was in effect many years ago however some companies holds/keep the passports.

There are  still companies/employers that doesn't follow this rule unfortunately at this time.

Travelling by your own is your prerogative. You have to get exit/reentry visa.

Benefits like plane tickets and paid leave, if it's stated on your contract, must be given to the employees.

If an employer (Kaleef) holds an employee's passport he is violating Council of Ministers Resolution No. 166 dated 12/04/14-1421h.

It is illegal to retain another person's passport in most nations, since it is a violation of international laws. It remains a common practice however, especially in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, simply because expat workers just don't know the laws and don't stand up for their legal rights.

Some important points to remember here:

1.  A passport IS NOT the property of the person to whom it has been issued - IT IS THE PROPERTY OF THE NATION THAT ISSUED IT. The bearer of the passport only has "secondary" ownership of the document.

2.  You should inform your employer that you are aware of the provisions of the Council of Ministers Resolution 166, which makes retaining an employee's passport illegal. You should make it perfectly clear that should your employer insist on anything other than a photocopy of your passport you will not turn it over, but rather report the matter to your Embassy or Consulate and to the local police.

3.  Saudi employers use retention of passports in order to "blackmail", intimidate and control their employees. If you turn over your passport this is what you can expect to happen to you. Even after you have completed your contract if you do not have possession of your passport your employer can refuse to release you, force you to continue working under threat.

Cheers,
James
Expat-blog Experts Team