Moving to Nijmegen, Netherlands

Hi All

I am planning to move to my partner in Nijmegen within the next few months (once my MVV and TEV visas come through). We have just applied and once that is approved, I will be packing up and moving permanently to the Netherlands. I have a few things on my mind and I was wondering if anyone could give advice:

- I am thinking of getting a small container to send my things via shipping. Does anyone know where I could advertise for someone who is also moving to the Netherlands and we could possibly share a container? I have no furniture, only small items such as my collection of containers of beads, clothing and a few pairs of shoes.

- I need an affordable way to send my things, Does anyone have a good suggestion? or recommend a company?

- I have over 20 years of work experience and will get a temporary residence permit. I have 3 years to do another Dutch exam and then will get permanent residence. Where do I start looking for a job?

- How long does the MVV & TEV visas really take?

Thank you so much and I look forward to hearing from you.

Hello Shutzie and welcome to Expat.com :)

I suggest you drop an advert in our :

1. Container sharing in the Netherlands to increase your chances to find somebody to share container with
2. Job offers in Netherlands to increase chances to find a job
3. Contact our partner to have free quotes for moving here : Moving to Netherlands

Concerning your visa query, while waiting for members to revert back please browse through our Information on visas in the Netherlands section of the forum to gather some infos.

Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Hi Shutzie!

I would like to welcome you ahead to The Netherlands, moving to another place not from yours is definitely challenging, but I'm pretty sure you will like it here.
I'm Jennifer from The Philippines, and like you,  I moved here for same reasons.
I came here August of last year, 2014 and been on school for the dutch language almost 3months now. And my school is at Nijmegen, so you will definitely find a good school closer to your new home  ;) and if you have any questions about it further, I'd be so happy to help you.
My MVV back in my country was pretty smooth. I took my Integration exam January 13, 2014, results were given same day. Things went pretty well with the test, Feb. 4, 2014 we officially applied for MVV visa. Result came out May 12 approved, so in 3 months time you get your visa, unless otherwise they wanted additional documents, then iy may cause delay. Aug. 2 I flied and officially lived in Netherlands. Jan. 28 I started school. And in April 7 I will start my first job. Finding job will depend what kind of job you do, or willing to do. And of  course the place you are looking for a job at. But Nijmegen is a city, then it is a good place to start and grow ;) You can sign up to uitzenbureaus online, or personal appearances in their offices. Uitzendbureaus are job agencies. You fill in your information and post a CV file and once you are profiled for a job, they will contact you. It works almost that way on every hirings and vacancies in Netherlands, for the Dutch citizens, immigrants and expats. I must say, it takes luck for sometimes. Some none dutch speakers find job earlier, some do a little bit longer. But for sure there is something for everyone, you just have to wait, but don't stop looking  :D
I'm sorry I may not be able to help you with the packages and shipping part. I have not had the experience for that but maybe it's best to look around your area, talk to different shipping companies and find out who has the best service yet the most reasonable price for you so you wont have to look for anyone to share load. You most prabably will be charged basing on the weight and maybe the size of the package so if you are not sending that much, then it shouldn't be very expensive as sending furnitures, etc. You also might want to send them ahead, so your stuff is delivered in NIjmegen before or right when you get there, in case you need them asap  :)

If there's something else, I'd be very glad to help. You can also send private message if you wish.

Best Wishes :D
Jennifer

Hi Shutzie,

This sounds surreal as I'm also from Cape Town and moving to Nijmegen. I hear you talk about beads, are you into arts and crafts?

I'm a designer and singer and would be great to collaborate with someone and do something in Nijmegen. Is there a way we can connect outside this forum? I've just passed my Dutch Exam but will commence with the TEV only in August as I still need to travel for business and personal reasons to Europe.

When do you think you'll move? I'm flying to Holland mid May for 3 months. I look forward to hearing from you and all the best with your plans.

Best,
Yolanda

If you have not much to ship, maybe the airline where you want to fly with, can be an option. At least you can search for information.

Sharing a container can be hard, specially when you are on a location which is not very popular but you can ask the shipping companies. You'll never now. Do this on time because they have a schedule where they have to deal with it.

Oh wow Yolanda, that is fantastic news! I do hope we can connect.

yolanday wrote:

Hi Shutzie,

This sounds surreal as I'm also from Cape Town and moving to Nijmegen. I hear you talk about beads, are you into arts and crafts?

I'm a designer and singer and would be great to collaborate with someone and do something in Nijmegen. Is there a way we can connect outside this forum? I've just passed my Dutch Exam but will commence with the TEV only in August as I still need to travel for business and personal reasons to Europe.

When do you think you'll move? I'm flying to Holland mid May for 3 months. I look forward to hearing from you and all the best with your plans.

Best,
Yolanda

Container sharing seems to be a hard way.

If it is that much only, probably you can airfreight (upto 1,5 cu.m-ish).

As for companies I'd pick either a both end mover (they may offer container sharing, yet it is unlikely). Or a strong Dutch - thus retaining the maximum torque on responsibility.

PM me if still stuck or needing more guidance.

Cheers,

Dez

Hi Shutzi,

I hope you will have a smooth move to Nijmegen! You will see that it is a beautiful city to live in.
I see that you are into the beads business. If you want, you can contact a friend of mine with whom you can maybe share information and get support.

Anne Meiborg
meiborg.nu
annemeiborg.etsy.com

Best
NSVoyager

Not syure if the link worked, so I write it down again :)

meiborg.nu
annemeiborg.etsy.com

Hello

Thank you - the message I get is this "link under review" - hopefully it will be available soon!

Chat soon,
Shutzie