Student exchange in Belgium, in rural area

Please help this clueless Mom.  High school daughter SO excited to visit Belgium and experience the culture.  But, first proposed student exchange match is in very rural area.  To see or do anything other than view pastoral farmland, she will be on trains for hours with fellow student who speaks only Dutch.  Am having reservations about this being optimal. Is Solre sur Sambre a location that would make it hard to make the most of 3 weeks in Belgium?

Hello beckywaite,

Welcome to Expat-Blog..:)

I hope the members will revert back to you soon concerning your question.

Thank you
Yuveshen

First question is whether or not she speaks dutch or french. Not having a clue will make it more difficult but not impossible. If she gets a rail-pass it will not be too terribly expensive but to profit from the sights and such the weekends will be completely filled with the addition of travel. It also will depend "where" she wants to visit. I would suggest finding a hotel or something when she travels to Brussels as it is not too close and there is quite alot to see. If she leaves where she is staying friday evening and stays over it will greatly simplify her visit. She might also inquire as to the availability of hostels. They are primarily for the teenage crowd and as so are quite inexpensive. I can look to see if I can find their address and post it in another mail.
Hope all this helps
Howie