Foreigner buying house VS apartment

Hi ALL,

I am wondering if anyone could provide me with some feedbacks regarding whether buying a house vs apartment is a wise decision in the case of Saigon? Any implications that we should be aware of before buying a property in Vietnam?

Thank you!

Will be good to understand the whole process of purchasing property in Vietnam.

Do not base your decision on hearsay or internet or forums or property agent for that matter but get it straight from the horse's mouth. Spent some time and make a trip to the authorities, get concrete information.

I have customers come, demanding assistance in recovery process which is impossible after the horse has left the barn especially if it turns out to be a scam.

First of all make sure you get the "RED Book".

Second, the person who sells you is legitimate.

Thirdly, the agency you going through is genuine.

My 2 cents.

Thanks Bro! I have yet to go down to the authorities. But as you are aware of the situation in the country, it is diffcult to trust what they say.

From your opinion, would you rather buy an apartment or a house??

For apartments, can we trust what the developer say? Eg. Novaland and capitaland.

very first - !!!!!you most likely can buy but most likely not own!!!! There are a number of restrictions of who can own

Thanks! Any other implications??

You must meet with 2 conditions: (1) You get the investment certificate first and (2) The apartment must be in the commercial project and allowed to sell to the foreigners.

If you do go down the road of a new apartment, make sure there is a clause that you can inspect the property before handing over the final payment. The two companies you mentioned have a fairly good reputation. Never buy anything from a company that is connected to any of the government owned enterprises. My ex-gf bought a place from Petroland,and it was an absolute disgrace,the manager of the project ended up in jail for pocketing funds that were supposed to be used to complete the building.

Since July 1st, 2015, foreigners can easily buy properties in Vietnam. And of course, you can own them, too. You can buy properties now also but some requirements are needed. Please don't hesitate to contact me at: lehang.tra{at}gmail.com or (+84) 903 709 009 (Le Hang) for more information. :)
Many thanks and best regards,
Le Hang

Le_Hang wrote:

Since July 1st, 2015, foreigners can easily buy properties in Vietnam. And of course, you can own them, too. You can buy properties now also but some requirements are needed. Please don't hesitate to contact me at: lehang.tra{at}gmail.com or (+84) 903 709 009 (Le Hang) for more information. :)
Many thanks and best regards,
Le Hang

You might want to change that to,from July 1st,not since.

There're a lot of things you have to consider and I strongly recommend you not ever buy an apartment unless:
a/you're gonna stay for quite a long time in VN but still plan to move and will sell it quick
b/you have free money and want to invest (in that case you must very sure about the project(s) you want to buy) to sell or lease it later. However, I assume you wanna buy an accommodation where you can move in right away.
c/can't find any house that you can afford to buy

I'll try to manage my time to clarify my points later.
Besides, are you thinking of buying from the apartment's owner (which you can move in right away) or from the project's owner (which you may have to wait or you will have an unfurnished apartment to do whatever you like with it)? And you pay at once or what else? It's important to know.