Public/charter schools in Mayaguez

Hi All,

I will be moving in the summer and am trying to research schools for my 10 and 12 year old.  My son will go into 5th and my daughter 7th.  They don't speak Spanish yet!

Any advice on good schools in Mayaguez?  We cannot afford private school.

Thanks!

Liz

SESO. It is private but in comparison to private school in the states (or even daycare stateside) It isn't very costly. That's in mayaguez. The 2nd english speaking school (also private and half the price... like 120 a month) is the Adventist school. One in barrio cuba and one in el cerro. Both TOP NOTCH, better than SESO in some ways (did i mention half the price) but being adventist, they're very finnicky.

Public school? Anasco has one bilingual school, VERY DIFFICULT TO GET INTO.

Thank you "addicted to tights"?!?!? :)  I have been doing a lot of research in Aguadilla as well.  I will look into these that you suggest.  Yes, when I originally saw information about private schools, I was nervous, but realized the prices are very reasonable!  And, the schools look great!

My son is in the Añasco school, so not impossible.

mac00677 wrote:

My son is in the Añasco school, so not impossible.

Would you mind to share your experience? How did you get your son admitted, how is the school, anything that might help?

Hi Mac00677 - Can you talk about the fees of that school?  I just looked it up.  Is it MASIS?

it's a public bilingual school, there are no fees, other than paying for uniforms, books & such. The name of the school is; Antonio Gonzalez Suarez Regional Bilingual Elementary School. The Wikipedia page is below.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonio_ … ary_School

I hope this helps!

Mac-

Thanks Mac!  That was a different one than I had found, so I will check it out!!

I tried to get into that school twice and they made such a hassle.

I think you're too old, tights... it only goes to 5th grade! Seriously, my son's Grandmother is related to someone who works there. I don't know who, but she is the one who got him in, not me.

Hi! My children go to an English school in Ponce, but there is a great English school in Sabana Grande that a couple of their friends go to. It's  not far from Mayaguez, wish I could give you the name but I bet that Google can! We have found that even the highest rated schools are still very different from what we knew in the States. I highly suggest asking about the schools "volunteer and open door policies" as most school here are not very transparent and do not openly welcome parent volunteers. Academically speaking, not all schools follow the Common Core, though most English school do. Our kids entered PR school ahead of the curve and have had no problems adapting in the classroom. We utilize a tutor to keep our kids current with expectations of the mainland US and that seems to bridge any gaps. Best of luck with your transition!

Thank you 4 of a kind!  I found the following school in Aguadilla. http://www.firstbilingualprep.com/  It is very reasonably priced.  When I heard private, I was worried, then saw that it is about $150/month for each kid.  A great price!!  Then, I also heard that there is a great bilingual public school in Aguada.  I don't have the name yet.  The school in Aguadilla has English/Spanish.  My children will learn both at a comfortable pace :)  I understand about Common Core.  We live in Arizona now...um, what are we ranked...47th?!!?  I will look at the volunteer stuff too.  It has been very important for me here to make sure my children and I are always working together.

Yes, my children are roughly the same age as yours. The lack of transparency in the schools with regards to open communication and volunteering has been tough. Still, even english schools tend to have some classes taught in Spanish, for my kids it's Spanish and specials (PE,art,music etc).  It is amazing how quickly they pick up the language!

That's great to hear.  Thank you so much!!

It all depends the area.I'm from Mayaguez and a good school is Farragut school McKinley st front of the post office..sincerely carlos call if you want I explain

Thank you Carlos!  I looked at Farragut and am also now looking in Rincon area too.  It all depends on job/house too!

Hello 4ofakind,
I am interested in English schools in the Ponce area for my 4 and 6 year old girls.  I have found Washburn and Caribbean.  Do your children go to one of those or another?  What do you think of it and do you have any additional advice?

Thanks!