Fortaleza or Rio for kiteboarding and quality of life?

Hi,

I was just wondering if you could tell me if there are resources to help English-speakers find work in Fortaleza or Rio (although I am currently studying Brazilian Portuguese).  I know most jobs are in the tourist industry in Fortaleza, but is there any manufacturing or technology business there in Ceara?

I fell in love with Fortaleza when I was there to kiteboard in Cumbuco, and I would like to spend the rest of my life there, but I would need to find a good job to be able to sustain myself.  I've also considered Rio, and although my chances would be better there, they don't have as long or as good a kiteboarding season.

I hope everyone is enjoying life in Brazil.  Thank you for any information.  Take care.  ED

Ceara is not well developped. They are no employee job for foreigners in Ceara that can you give enough to subsist well; R$4000 does not exist here. All expats I know or that I crossed in Fortaleza/Ceara are doing the following
- owner pousada
- owner restaurant
- estate agent
- retired people living on their pension
- owner language school/ particular teacher (difficult to sustain himself with that here)
- a few young kite teacher from all Europe who stay a few years/month at the best because then they are tired to live in the middle of nowhere and being paid nothing (R$600), despite doing kite everyday.
To resume, all people who stayed here opened a business and succeed/or opened a business and accepted to live miserably in order to live in beautiful place.
No employee job because there is no much big hotel and tourist ressort. Certainly better off in Rio for expat.

Thanks so much for the advice.  That's what I also thought, but I am just not sure of the kiteboarding scene in Rio.  I will go there for about a month this Christmas to find out :)  Thanks again.

If you don't already known about it, I would check out Barra da Tijuca. when I was visiting in January I saw a lot of kite surfing. There was a cafe/resturant on the beach called K08 (ka oito) That seemed like the spot. They have a kite surfing club/school right in front. Barra da Tijuca is off the beat for Rio but seems to be an up and coning neighborhood as the crime levels seem lower there. I think it will get at least more accessible as the metro gets out that way.

Also if you decide to check out Barra and stay over there I have a great airbnb recommendation close to the beach. Super nice guy and great location for checkin it out.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/k08-kite-surf-c … de-janeiro

I hope this helps a little

Yes, I definitely want to kitesurf in Barra, but my main focus is really to find employment out there first, which is difficult for a non-resident without any sponsorship.  Plus, the cost of transportation is ridiculous!  Thanks for the tip, Phil!