Top 5 tips to live in Vietnam

Hi,

When you are going to live abroad, you may have a lot of questions. Hence to facilitate you in this process, we are inviting expats to share their top 5 tips with regards to settling and living in Vietnam.

What recommendations would you give soon-to-be expats in Vietnam?

How should they prepare efficiently for their expatriation project and settling in?

Please share with us your best advice for a successful expatriation in Vietnam!

Thank you in advance :)

1) know your visa/work permit situation before coming to Vietnam

2) leave your egos at the airport

3) have a plan for how your medical emergency will be covered

4) don't make yourself a target for theft

5) have fun enjoy life there will always be a tomorrow

1. Go to google.com

2. Type in -Expat.com.

3. Register and join Expat.com.

4. Go to The 'Forum section' and click on 'Vietnam'

5. Read and learn everything you ever needed to know about Vietnam.

My tips.
## Have a plan and an EXIT plan.   Don't be one of those guys that have to scrounge money to buy their ticket home.   I've seen 65 yr old men go back to live with their 85 yr old mothers.

## If your a retiree, know your governments pension rules on oversea living, and Be aware of your country's Tax laws if your working here. 

## Find a hobby, sport or exercise regime to keep physically and mentally fit. 

## Be aware that most relationships here usually don't go to plan.  Don't marry someone you've only known a few months , if that's what your looking for here.

## If it's the cheap beer that's the attraction, don't bother coming here either.  If sitting in bars allday, everyday is your thing,  buy yourself a home brew kit and stay at home. That way your 85 year old mother won't have to bail you out of here.  It happens often.,

The above suggestions IMO are useful to people who are prone to self destruction.  There are reports in Thailand that there are hundreds of expats living rough on the streets. They hang around food courts waiting to grab leftovers of the plates of tourists.  Scavenging like rats.

Google on  YouTube. "Down and out in pattaya"  some sad stories of expats that got it wrong.
Fast women and cheap beer....a lethal mix for the weak minded.

1 Learn as much as possible the language
2 Learn the culture. Yes is not yes in many ways here
3 Have a mentor if possible
4 Get in touch with expats here and learn from them
5 Have a  backup plan

0) learn the language, start before arrival

1) don't live in HCMC, avoid sexpats

2) vet your employees very carefully

3) don't leave pets outside or within reach

4) learn the visa rules

1. hobby is a must
2. read the travel laws
3. have an open mind
4. you will be poor here and never be rich here don't go spending spree.
5. smile

Firstly , once you decide to come to Vietnam , do not compare the surroundings with where you come from .
             respect Vietnamese as this is their way of lives .

Secondly : Learn a few simple words to help you get around , it will be handy to have a local map with you .

thirdy      : Do not flash your cash when paying for a purchase , and keep your belonging / I phones etc
                 securely when out on the street .
fourthly   : Ladies especially , when walking on the street , keep your hand bags in front of you , to avoid
                 snatch thieves on motor bike  , they are real fast ..cause danger to you as well ...best is walk closer to the
                 building and not near road side ..
fifthly         avoid trishaw riders , they are often a rib off ride if you take them
                 sharing from experience , they will hail you and tell you a price that is dirt cheap , but when you
                 reach your destination , the bill is many times higher and it can goes into million of vnd ..
                 and they will show you a price chart and tell you how much you need pay ..and often there will
                 be a few riders that will suddenly comes around and will be harsh on you .....so ..avoid this situation...

I just got back from my trip form vietnam and my biggest tip for the non-vietnamese is to get a vietnamese friend, especially when shopping. Vendors like to jack up prices, notably in more tourist places because foreigners don't know any better.
I was shopping for belts once and saw a nice one with a 160k price tag on it and was totally cool about paying that amount. Then my cousin, who lives in vietnam, asks how much and the seller said 100k. A bidding war presumed and I ended up paying 70k for it.

Some great replies that don't need continuous repeating.

One thought, from experience, avoid 'Western foods' except for an occasional treat. Eat Vietnamese - Pho; Hu Tieu etc. The weather here (heat) is a killer. Eating high protein, high carbohydrate, whatever else is in Western food keeps the heat burning in your body. Vietnamese food helps counter the outside heat.

2 things spring to mind no matter what country you are spending time in Asia...
Try and figure out public transport,,, then no hassles with Taxis,, tuk tuks,, motor bikes ect.
And limit your time in bars,,,, especially being around bar girls..
I find by doing this 90% of the scams and problems go away
And the few that remain are easy to deal with...
Works fine for me.

Learn your passport number!  You will need for everything - even sending a parcel home by post.
Bring plenty of passport sized photos. 
Learn to ride a motorbike
Bring an international drivers licence

.... and everything else said already!

That is very good advice-too bad it won't be taken.

1) don't date poor people.  Just dont.  The gap is uncrossable, and love will not cross it

2) make it clear from the start that you are not giving money to your partner's family, unless it's for specific and limited needs like private schooling.  Anything broader and the phony emergencies will never stop

3) beware street food.  Unless you see your meal being cooked, presume it's contaminated or you will be sick several times a month.

4) if you drink, don't let yourself be drawn into the bia nhậu culture.  You'll end up as unhealthy as the men you're drinking with. 

5) never "lend" money.  Nobody will ever pay you back.  They may even mean it when they say they will, but they never will.  Ever.

No 5. Tefl........oh yes....   If your broke in a poor developing country,  your f^*+ked.

I just refer them to the nearest bank. Always a good idea to carry a few business cards from your local bank to,hand out to potential borrowers.   

My best answer is always. "Well, when the last person I lent money to pays it back ,  your next in line" .   

Since I've been here I've kept a record of what I've been asked for in $$.  It's close to $700,000 and that does not include a helicopter that some clown wanted .   

Beware of EXPATS...wanting to start a business., and need a partner.   I usually say " why do you want to halve your takings, just go it alone and keep the lot.   There's always stunned silence for an answer.

That is the first time that I heard that about the food and the heat thing.. I am interested in knowing what exactly we should be eating.  Last summer i suffered from the heat so much I couldn't go out.  I came from China and hadn't had Western food in many years.  There were so many Western ingredients to make good Western dishes in Vietnam that I went crazy making my old foods.  I gained 20 pounds and felt horrible-now I am back on mainly vegetables and small amounts of meat.  If you have some advice for a typical menu then please let us all know.

Sundancer - stick to lots of vegetables, a little meat, a bowl or two of rice; lots of soups and weak tea, as they help rehydration; definitely beer for rehydration, too, but don't overdo it. Have an alcohol free day after a big night out. When Vietnamese friends want me to join in the "Gio, Gio! 100%!", I just say, "No, Australians don't drink like that". 

Minimise your use of oil and salt (Vietnamese use three ot FIVE times the recommended WHO recommended daily max).

Regular exercise is a must, either early in the morning or late afternoon/evening. Walking is best - it is good for the heart and helps maintain bone mass; cycling, swimming, jogging, and other sports are good, too. 

I've lived here 13 years and put on three kilos.

Key: ESTD   Easier said than done
Learn language and culture (ESTD)  unless you have lived past 5 years at least..
Vet your employees (under every deal volunteered to be done, is a 10% commission reserved for the local guy/girl) , factor that in or seek proof and fire the culprit (it's a norm, here) supplements the regular pay
Be real patient and tolerant (especially towards those reckless traffic rules blind idiots)
Avoid fish sauce if cooking (you will be surprised at amount of sodium contained)
Try not to show facial expressions of your emotions (locals are experts in this area to detect)

Keep your common sense... Would i do this at home.?
Would i lend money to someone i know for just a month?
Would i hand accross money to a girlfriends family?
Would i drink all night alone and expect to get home safe?
Your culture is just as important as theirs.  If its totally against your culture ... Dont do it.

Sundancer:
Pho
Hu Tiu
Spring Rolls
Rice
Vegetables
Fruit
Stay hydrated

1) Protect your hearing--avoid loud bars and nightclubs and wear earplugs when on noisy streets
2) Be healthy: Do't drink--ever--bad bad bad, eat a raw food vegan unprocessed foods diet, exercise everyday, do yoga, meditate, go to temple, read spiritual books
3) Find a good dr, dentist, pharmacist, ER, hospital, alternative health practioner and a good psychologist
4) Find good friends--both Viets and foreigners--join meetup and expat groups
5) Learn and respect the culture and language and people

Let's not argue here and avoid judging people we don't know.

(1) Never trust a Vietnamese, unless its your wife/husband or immediate family member (sometimes)

(2) Remember that in Vietnam there are NO LOCAL  FRIENDS.  There is money or a favour involved behind every smiling  friendly face. NOTHING IS DONE FOR NOTHING

(3). Have a back up or contigency plan for every promise or agreement made by a Vietnamee. (they are great in telling lies and breaking promises). NEVER TAKE THINGS FOR GRANTED. When dealing,  hand over money after receiving the goods. never pay deposits, you will never get it back. once the money has changed hands, that is the end of the deal.

(4) Learn the language (is not that difficult) , at least the letters are Roman, with sound features added at the top. This writing / characters were  created by foreign  french missionaries, So why can't the foreigners learn this ? it is easy as ABC.    (earlier they used Chinese character).

(5) Always smile, do not show the frustration and anger although you are boiling underneath. a smile and laugh and joke and acting dumb can get through many barriers. Be flexible and accept the way the things are, just go with flow, after all it is Vietnam, nothing is  perfect as in your country.  If you don't like Vietnam,  get out !!!
I have been in VN for the last 21 years   ." JUST GO WITH THE TIDE", is my advice, smile be happy do no worry about tomorrow !! just treat the Vietnamese as your brothers and sisters (subject to the 5 conditions mentioned here).

Peter Donut

peterwij wrote:

(1) Never trust a Vietnamese,
Peter Donut

From my experience, Never trust anyone (don't care if he is foreigner or Vietnamese) if don't know clearly about her/him.

First things first. I do want to tell everyone I appreciate the information regarding your personal do's and don'ts and many make sense. I think the one thing to always keep in mind is for the fact any of us a considering such a bold move can cloud our thinking a wee bit. Personally I am looking for ward with great anticipation to living a more fulfilling and simple life style. With enthusiastic anticipation I'm sort of looking at it through rose colored glasses. So for that I again thank all of you and will consider so many of your suggestions. Not all but many........ I feel my biggest problem is my positive and romantic side may be a bit more in control then my logical side. My own words of wisdom to self are..... you can always move back..............BUT I am truly hoping I will not even entertain such a thought.

Thanks to ALL !!!!!    :thanks: