Top 5 tips to live in Slovenia

Hi,

When you are going to live abroad, you may have a lot of questions. Hence to facilitate you in this process, we are inviting expats to share their top 5 tips with regards to settling and living in Slovenia.

What recommendations would you give soon-to-be expats in Slovenia?

How should they prepare efficiently for their expatriation project and settling in?

Please share with us your best advice for a successful expatriation in Slovenia!

Thank you in advance :)

From my personal experience from living in Slovenia for over 3 years. (this is what is working for me)

1. Don't get your hopes up on work opportunities, best to get it settled before you make the leap to move, but if you are not phased about it (like me) then jump in with both feet and you should be fine.

2. (cont employment) Start your own business what will enable you to speak your own language and reward you with what you really want to do with your life.

3. Meeting new people can be really tough, especially if they are treating you like some attraction i.e "that guy/girl from another country" -- Be prepared to be asked the same line of questioning over and over again. It can be exhausting and frustrating to not be able to be treated on the same level as they are.

But you can stop it by saying "hey, tell me more about yourself?, What do you do in your free time?" and it tends to disarm this line of predictive and annoying conversation -- If they are interesting continue the conversation, if not then move on and expend you energy some place else.

4. Slovenia is small -- Travel as much as you can
Go to Croatia seaside at least once in your life -- its friggen amazing!

5. Learning the language!!! if you plan on living in Slovenia for any long length of time then its best to learn the language if you don't wanna remain on the outer circle of everything.
Sucks when people are laughing at each others jokes and are engaged in meaningful conversation when you cannot add any value and you are always going to be that guy/gal who someone has to translate for.

If you are a social guy like myself and you are unable to speak the language you are going to have a rough time trying to meet new people and remain socially sane -- It would only be a matter of time before you become a depressed introvert with a burning desire to move back to where you came from or somewhere else.

6. If you have no desire to learn the language or you are unable to learn because you have everyday life stuff getting in the way you better get good at being alone and/or entertaining yourself and being patient with meeting other like minded expats/locals like your self.
- Read Books
- Do a sport -- this will get in front of people you can align you interest with.
- Join an interest group or go to an event where you would like to surround your self with people you would like to network with.
- Master something you are interested in.

The rest is all up in your head.