Top 5 tips to live in New Zealand

Hi,

When you are going to live abroad, you may have a lot of questions. Hence to facilitate you in this process, we are inviting expats to share their top 5 tips with regards to settling and living in New Zealand.

What recommendations would you give soon-to-be expats in New Zealand?

How should they prepare efficiently for their expatriation project and settling in?

Please share with us your best advice for a successful expatriation in New Zealand!

Thank you in advance :)

Here are a few tips about what to expect in New Zealand

1) Bring as much capital  as you can over with you as it is expensive living here even away from the larger cities. Also  it is much cheaper to buy new furniture in your own country and have it sent over here due to NZ isolated position most things are expensive and not of particularly good quality

2) you have to keep on top of tradesmen/service people as they are very slow in actually doing anything and very rarely turn up first time.

3) you need patience as the word efficient does not seem to exist down here.

4) Don't expect NZ houses to be up to European standards unless you can afford really high prices. Very few have insulation and the standard of finishes are sometimes  left wanting. There is a chronic shortage of builders so they take shortcuts and move onto the next job.

5) Away from the larger towns do not expect many public services to be available on the South island. South of Christchurch there are no train services and where we live a town of 4000 there is no public transport at all. So if you don't live in a major city you will  need a car. Cars are very expensive  a 10 year old Honda CRV will cost you approx. $12/13000 dollars. about 6500 pounds.

Bring a camera! There's so much beauty to see here!

Be prepared for food to taste differently.

Learn to buy things when you see them because they may not be there next week. There aren't a lot of stores, so 'comparison shopping' is not an option.

Window screens and screen door are, pretty  much, non-existent--as is A/C and central heat.

Although there are many great things about New Zealand, it's basically a young country and sometimes the attitude is that of a dodgy teenager. Eventually, someone will tell you to go back to where you came from, but that's par for the course.

[Moderated: Off Topic]

My tip is this. Do not live in this country and constantly compare it to back home. New Zealand is a wonderful country but of course you will encounter things you don't like. Stay positive and focus on what an amazingly beautiful place it is. I have lived here for twelve years and I went through some difficult times not knowing for sure I wanted to be here. On the flip side, if you decide it's not for you, then move on and don't feel bad that it didn't work out.

1.  Go for modern well insulated accommodation, a lot of older housing stock is just not up to it.

2.  Consider using a tax accountant especially if you will be self employed or still have some overseas income.

3.  Be prepared to pay more for things than say the UK as it's a smaller market.

4.  Enjoy the things that make NZ special rather than complaining about what's different to back home.

Hard to say come on in. Not much money here and job opportunities very very limited. Why don't u try Australia ?

I think that anyone moving to any country should try and adapt to the ways of their new country.  I am not saying leave your cultures and ways of life behind, but try and take on the way of life of the new country.  People are intolerant of those who come to New Zealand and try to live life as if they were back in their own country without trying to adapt and fit in.  Experience New Zealand as if you were born and bred here and things will be a lot easier, it might make you feel homesick, but you can still practice your culture, speak your language and do your own thing in your own home.

New Zealand is a glorious place with more and varied scenery packed into a relatively small country than seems possible. Travel the back roads and be adventurous!

It does get cold here!  Since most homes have little or no insulation and no main heating source, you will need layers indoors as well as a good pair of slippers.

Food is expensive whether eating in or out. My grocery bill probably doubled for a similar week's groceries here as opposed to the U.S.  But, vegetables and fruit are available in season and from local growers!  A great benefit. I love taking advantage of local fruit and veggie shops instead of depending on a large grocery store. 

Refrigerators and washers are, on the whole, much smaller here. I'm not sure why. No problem, but requires a adjustment. 

When you find yourself in a group of kiwi's, it will be hard to understand or be understood. 😊 Prepare for a time of language adjustment.  And, don't forget...you are the one with an accent!