Top 5 tips to live in Mauritania

Hi,

When you are going to live abroad, you may have a lot of questions. Hence to facilitate you in this process, we are inviting expats to share their top 5 tips with regards to settling and living in Mauritania.

What recommendations would you give soon-to-be expats in Mauritania?

How should they prepare efficiently for their expatriation project and settling in?

Please share with us your best advice for a successful expatriation in Mauritania!

Thank you in advance :)

Tips for coming to Mauritania:
1. Bring clothes you'll need as western attire is limited in availability and quality.
2. Women ought to bring cosmetics.
3. Imagine sand EVERYWHERE and then consider your choice of shoes.

Living in Mauritania:
1. If you find something you like in the supermarket, buy as much as you can. It may be gone tomorrow and not make an appearance again for three months.
2. Lower your cleanliness standards. I can't tell you how many times I buy bread that I watched the guy drop. I figure it has been dropped five times before I walked in. I've taken home bread wrapped in paper picked up off the floor.
3. Treat others as you'd like to be treated. You'll find Mauritanians very kind and generous. They've become somewhat protective of myself and my family. It's nice.
4. Shop for veggies at smaller neighborhood vendors. Shop early in the morning for the best selection.

I think others will add to this starting list!