Top 5 tips to live in Malta

Hi,

When you are going to live abroad, you may have a lot of questions. Hence to facilitate you in this process, we are inviting expats to share their top 5 tips with regards to settling and living in Malta.

What recommendations would you give soon-to-be expats in Malta?

How should they prepare efficiently for their expatriation project and settling in?

Please share with us your best advice for a successful expatriation in Malta!

Thank you in advance :)

The problem with asking for top five tips is that you will get dozens of different tips, many of which may contain incorrect information and, as far as I know, there is no one from the 'expat team' who knows Malta, or lives here and would be in a position to edit incorrect information!

Ray

1. Come with open mind and open heart. Embrace a new life and don't expect everything will be the same as back home except for sunshine and good weather.

2. Come here to stay for a few weeks, not as a tourist in a hotel and on the beach but to live here.

3. Come with enough funds and savings to live for 6 months without work. Don't expect you will find work in a week.

4. Wages and cost of living here are very different to those back home.

5. Read, collect and gather information. Tap into the experience of those who took the same road before you.

Totally agree New Horizonz, spot on!  :top:

New Horizonz wrote:

1. Come with open mind and open heart. Embrace a new life and don't expect everything will be the same as back home except for sunshine and good weather.

2. Come here to stay for a few weeks, not as a tourist in a hotel and on the beach but to live here.

3. Come with enough funds and savings to live for 6 months without work. Don't expect you will find work in a week.

5. Read, collect and gather information. Tap into the experience of those who took the same road before you.

yep id go with that... as a resident of Malta for 6years....

id only add

a.... consider everything and ignore nothing
b.... protect yourself trust nobody unitl its earned...... (go with your gut feeling if necessary)

Toon wrote:
New Horizonz wrote:

yep id go with that... as a resident of Malta for 6years....

id only add

a.... consider everything and ignore nothing
b.... protect yourself trust nobody unitl its earned...... (go with your gut feeling if necessary)

Yes, good additions Toon:
I think 1. above can include a.... and 5. can be improved by b....

1. To get great deals on meat head to lidl first thing in morning - I picked up two reduced chickens for €2.34 each but they also had burgers at €0.83 ,and other items reduced
2. Shops around don't buy all from one place as you get charged more for convenience
3. Look out for the special items with coupons fill in the back you could win ,
4. Relax and enjoy yourself everything is different here - don't rush
5. ask for help if your not sure ... There are many people to help both online and in public

I know mine are mostly shopping related but for many that will be the biggest expense whilst here

many good tips - i would add (from personal exp):
if someone says something can't be done at all in some time, be firm and don't be afraid to raise your voice - it works

- Learn some Maltese.

I spent almost a year in Gozo a couple years back...

1. Be open minded and do not jump to conclusions heh. Especially during the first couple of months here. It's a unique place with a lot of pros and cons.

2. Understand that many Maltese people are very different from traditional Europeans. :) Be curious - ask questions, discuss world views, life values, etc. Malta is a fascinating place.

3. My personal advice would be to try a few different green grocers to compare prices. I've been ripped off many times (in Gozo) by numerous vendors. But eventually you learn who is honest and who sees you as a walking ATM lol. Best prices that I've found for fruit and veg: green grocer in front of a public car park (across the road from the car park actually) behind the bus station in Rabat (Victoria).

4. Rent a good apartment. South facing, good windows, multiple ACs, not too many neighbours, etc. There are tons of cheap rentals in Malta and living in them is HELL November to March. Rent - do not buy.

5. Do not come to Malta for their cuisine. Many Maltese have... extremely poor diets. I lived among "real" locals for over half a year... woah. Malta has - by far - the worst food culture I have ever come across. Their traditional foods are either super sweet, crazy salty or super fatty. Do not expect to find great restaurants here - some of the most praised restaurants in Gozo/Malta are (at best) OKish compared to good restaurants in Spain or Italy. This was perhaps the biggest shock to me when I moved to Malta.

I enjoyed my time in Gozo/Malta a lot.

- Malta will test your patience. In regards to customer service or public transport Malta is way behind most other countries in the EU. The sooner you realize you're pretty much in northern Africa mentallywise the better.

- the driving of the locals is borderline insane. You better get a thick skin and hope for the best.

- While the country itself is conservative and Christian up to a point where you think you travelled back in time for 50 years, Pacevile is the underbelly of Malta. Everything bad you have heard of Mallorca, Jesolo or 18-30 all inclusive vacations - Paceville is worse. But if you're into wild partying - this is the place to be to get thrown up at or cut by a knife.

- language students will annoy you at every possible occasion

- if you ask locals for directions they'll assume you know every church and football ground and will never give you an address. They'll only describe it as 'the second round about left, then straight and at the church left until you see 2 Palm trees' ..try typing that into your navi.

Do what we did and are doing, after going on holiday for several year on Malta and Gozo, ignore the holiday mentality, rent an apartment - out of season and join several groups, then (we were lucky) try and arrange a meet, we had made friends through here and Facebook groups, they helped organise a meet with like minded people and a meeting (night out) turned into 15 coming to well over 40.
We enjoyed the night went to see several properties from apartments to a detached house, everyone was really helpful and we learned a lot of tips plus the negatives and pluses.
Then we started a blog, mainly for friends and family.
here Sorry not 5 tips but tips we have picked up so far.
We haven't moved to Gozo yet but were well on our way - main tip is DONT rush.

HI
It feels  great to visit a foreign country, I am planning to visit Malta by end of July. I am looking for a great families who can host me, I also need a tour guide.
My first business is to visit a charity organization that i can volunteer my services ,orphanage or the aged for some days.
Help me get the networks.

Regards
Gladys

Gladys Malelu wrote:

HI
It feels  great to visit a foreign country, I am planning to visit Malta by end of July. I am looking for a great families who can host me, I also need a tour guide.
My first business is to visit a charity organization that i can volunteer my services ,orphanage or the aged for some days.
Help me get the networks.

Regards
Gladys

You should start a new thread as this one is very old from 2015.