Top 5 tips to live in China

Hi,

When you are going to live abroad, you may have a lot of questions. Hence to facilitate you in this process, we are inviting expats to share their top 5 tips with regards to settling and living in China.

What recommendations would you give soon-to-be expats in China?

How should they prepare efficiently for their expatriation project and settling in?

Please share with us your best advice for a successful expatriation in China!

Thank you in advance :)

1. Start learning the language as far in advance of arriving in China as possible.
2. Subscribe to a reliable but not too popular VPN service before entering China.
3. Download various Chinese-related apps to pads and smartphones (language learning, writing hanzi, pinyin tables etc)
4. Build an entertaining repertoire of party tricks (using magic, juggling, soccer, bikes, singing, dancing, acrobatics... anything that makes you a fun and entertaining laowai)
5. Open a WeChat account and start preparing to make as many Chinese friends as possible.

sifustewart wrote:

1. Start learning the language as far in advance of arriving in China as possible.
2. Subscribe to a reliable but not too popular VPN service before entering China.
3. Download various Chinese-related apps to pads and smartphones (language learning, writing hanzi, pinyin tables etc)
4. Build an entertaining repertoire of party tricks (using magic, juggling, soccer, bikes, singing, dancing, acrobatics... anything that makes you a fun and entertaining laowai)
5. Open a WeChat account and start preparing to make as many Chinese friends as possible.

very good point!!!

1. Learn to be flexible. This is nothing like home so stop expecting it to be. (especially when it comes to time and to work- and you have NEVER liked everything ALL the time so why should China be any different)

2. If you can't say anything nice- it's time to go home. If you spend almost all your spare time gathering with other foreigners complaining about China then what's the point? Most people who have been in China longer than a year want to be here, so complaining to us is just annoying. I'm sure there is a country out there that will suit you fine so if you have a list of things you don't like- move on.

3. Behave! I don't know the reason why but when a lot of foreigners come to China they start to act like kings and queens, no matter how well they are treated they still expect more than they would ever get in their home country. Sure we face a lot of crap that we don't normally have to at home but this isn't home, so have a little appreciation for the things they try to do. They mean well. Meet them half way and don't sweat the little things...they have hard time dealing with YOUR culture issues just as much as you do theirs.

4. Try anything ONCE. Sure that stuff may not be your cup of tea in the end, but until you've tried it you'll never know. I learned this one the hard way. I used to turn my nose up at Donkey and goat...turns out they were the best things to snack on. Nothing beats a donkey sandwich or goat kebob. Don't get me wrong- some stuff will stay disgusting...but at least you'll know how to describe it to others- like Stinky Tofu (smells like feet- tastes like ASS).

5. Don't get too wrapped up in yourself or what you miss. I always scold my students when they go abroad and surround themselves with Chinese friends, Chinese food, and all the things they wanted to get away from- but foreigners do it worse. I've seen so many people come to China just to eat western food, have western friends, do western things, and basically ignore the fact that they're in China...well except for their "Girlfriend" who of course wants to marry and move back to the US/ England/ Australia/ or just fill in the name of your country. IF you were brave enough to come to China...try to fit in a little. It won't hurt, and who knows maybe you'll end up like some of us who tried it and liked it...I've been here for more than 11 years.

And in the WHOLE 11 years I have NEVER taken a class in Chinese, LOOKED through a Chinese book, or 'LEARNED' the language...I'm a firm believer that you learn as you go. My Chinese isn't native...and my vocab and reading might be limited but that's what keeps the 'adventure' part of my stay here alive. My daughter was born here and is Native bilingual and my Chinese husband would NEVER let me ruin his language if he had a say- though apparently my pronunciation is strangely Sichuanese.

Extremely Good points RobertaM !!! And, while those are quite basic/fundamental, those are the most crucial ones!!! (and it does not matter which country you're coming from and which country you're coming to). Without those - you can forget about all other comments.

P.S. A bit of pleasant surprise to hear this from American (although sorry about this part :)).

1. Don't judge anybody! You don't know what this person has been through during the last decades in China.

2. Read “Wild Swans” by Jung Chang.

3. Try to learn Mandarin (not only pinyin, but also characters) and don't assume people must be able to speak English with you.

4. When speaking Mandarin, your tones are probably going to be wrong. So, repeat the sentence several times until the person you are talking to understand it.

5. Never forget you are not in your own country. If you aren't happy here, better leave China than stay here complaining about the Chinese.

The tip I have enjoy yourself travel learn eat good food meet people.  You only go around this world once.

I love what sifustewart, Roberta M, and Chris Stewart have shared. Here are mine:

1. Learn Mandarin – reading/writing as well as speaking/listening. It will make your world much bigger.

2. Find a hobby or interest that you love here, particularly one you don't have in your passport country.

3. Don't live in an expat bubble. Make local friends, especially some who don't speak English. Eat local food. Shop where locals shop. (I mean, I fully support shopping at Carrefour or eating pizza, but if that's all you experience, why come to China?)

4. Don't limit yourself to city life and tourist sites. There's so much to China.

5. Learn the history of China. Dig deep. Certain things will start making more sense when you understand the historical background.

1. Learn the language, food vocabs pretty important as well as shopping vocab and bargaining in Chinese.
2. Come over with an open mind, the cultures so different and misunderstandings are common. No point getting angry or frustrated all the time. Take it easy.
3. Learn from the Chinese people. They are so generous and eager to share China's history, culture, food and stories with foreigners.
4. Don't bring over too many things especially clothes. "Everything's made in China" as you know so
Stuff is cheap. Unless you are a relatively large person in which case you might not be able to find your size in China. This is especially the case for shoes as well as women's bra's. Stock up at home!
5. This sounds a little funny perhaps but when you first arrive you may need medicine to stop having the runs and then medicine to help with constipation. Your stomach could be very confused at this time trying to adapt to the Chinese food. I've seen it happen to countless people over here.

Hope this is helpful.
Good luck!

Getting settled in China has a treat to do with where you will live.
The first tier cities, such as Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou offer the newcomer a plethora of things to do.  Join local groups of expats who can guide you through the maze of getting settled.  If in Beijing, pick up free local magazines that cater to the foreigner, such as That's Beijing, City Weekend, The Beiijinger.
Again, if in Beijing, join Internations, the FC Club, the Bookworm, an interesting and exciting venue to meet both locals and foreigners in a western book shop/cafe/restaurant setting.
If you have a job here, many of your workmates can easily advise the dos and don'ts of living in your particular city.
By a VPN before you arrive.  Most of the sites we take for granted in the west are blocked here.
Finally, be of good cheer.  It's difficult country to live in due to differences in food, weather, people's habits and customs (rude, spitting, gruff).

I assume your visit and work permits are in order.

Then keep on posting to this site for additional info.

Good luck in your China adventure.

I've been in Beijing for 18 years and still love every minute.

David