Top 5 tips to live in the Cayman Islands

Hi,

When you are going to live abroad, you may have a lot of questions. Hence to facilitate you in this process, we are inviting expats to share their top 5 tips with regards to settling and living in the Cayman Islands.

What recommendations would you give soon-to-be expats in the Cayman Islands?

How should they prepare efficiently for their expatriation project and settling in?

Please share with us your best advice for a successful expatriation in the Cayman Islands!

Thank you in advance :)

My family came here in 1978 - Linda and I in our late 30s and our son aged 2 1/2. L and I had lived as expats in other countries before then (England, Canada, Bahamas and New Hebrides in the South Pacific), and were well prepared for life here.

It would be difficult for me to narrow my recommendations down to five tips, but I will be glad to answer any specific questions. I usually direct enquirers to an online magazine called "Cayman New Resident" for matters relating to the current cost of living, and to my own personal blog-website for comments on local politics and government policies. Anybody thinking of coming here to work should learn something about the anti-expat sentiment prevalent among our local politicians before leaving home; as a victim of that in my time, I am something of an expert on the topic.

Ask away.