Top 5 tips to live in Cambodia

Hi,

When you are going to live abroad, you may have a lot of questions. Hence to facilitate you in this process, we are inviting expats to share their top 5 tips with regards to settling and living in Cambodia.

What recommendations would you give soon-to-be expats in Cambodia?

How should they prepare efficiently for their expatriation project and settling in?

Please share with us your best advice for a successful expatriation in Cambodia!

Thank you in advance :)

1. Positive Attitude - If coming just cause it 'might' be interesting, fun, different - it is. But you must be well prepared for the exact opposite and it can happen two, three times, all in a single day.
2. You need not be active within the expat community in KH but you need to stay linked. You will find they are often the only source of information you may require. Other expat experiences, knowledge and thoughts can save you time, money and frustration.
3.  If just arriving to 'settle in' - Ensure you have established all necessary lines/links to the outside world or home. It is much, much, easier to accomplish prior to arriving here than attempting to do from afar. Banking, your specialized goods, products, mail, meds etc... you need to factor even the smallest detail into account... without doing so, it may come up and bite you in your behind.
4.  Be physically prepared, not to run marathons or such, but health wise. No one can foresee the future. Should you know of, feel, think or have any questions about health - this is not the country to search for superior medical care. Please don't mistake me, there are many a good medical people here, it is the facilities. Almost all, from expats, foreigners and Khmers travel out of country for most major medical care and procedures.
5. Lastly and most importantly, be respectful to the host nation and its' people. You may not understand or you may have better knowledge of something - offer to help, lend a hand, yet if denied and smile, remember this is THEIR country and we all are but a guest.
Summation: Come, enjoy, and live - a truly different way of life indeed!

Relax and go with the flow: nothing will run smoothly : so just accept this is Cambodia
And there is no hurry     Just remember they don't have your experience or intelligence however they are working on it.     and one day they won't put up with you
We are blessed to be here and should accept our new life;

Mjk

1. Positive Attitude - If coming just cause it 'might' be interesting, fun, different - it is. But you must be well prepared for the exact opposite and it can happen two, three times, all in a single day.
2. You need not be active within the expat community in KH but you need to stay linked. You will find they are often the only source of information you may require. Other expat experiences, knowledge and thoughts can save you time, money and frustration.
3.  If just arriving to 'settle in' - Ensure you have established all necessary lines/links to the outside world or home. It is much, much, easier to accomplish prior to arriving here than attempting to do from afar. Banking, your specialized goods, products, mail, meds etc... you need to factor even the smallest detail into account... without doing so, it may come up and bite you in your behind.
4.  Be physically prepared, not to run marathons or such, but health wise. No one can foresee the future. Should you know of, feel, think or have any questions about health - this is not the country to search for superior medical care. Please don't mistake me, there are many a good medical people here, it is the facilities. Almost all, from expats, foreigners and Khmers travel out of country for most major medical care and procedures.
5. Lastly and most importantly, be respectful to the host nation and its' people. You may not understand or you may have better knowledge of something - offer to help, lend a hand, yet if denied and smile, remember this is THEIR country and we all are but a guest.
Summation: Come, enjoy, and live - a truly different way of life indeed!

Phnom Penh is not a very pleasant place generally - the weather, the crowding, widespread poverty and glaring disparity of the priviliged, the chaotic traffic, the  lack of open spaces, the rampant development  without organization, the corrupt, selfish government.     I have lived here for years, when the excitement of a new, exotic place wears off, you will be looking for something better.     
Come and see for yourself before committing to living here.

I don't have 5 but I do have a couple of tips:
1)  If you are coming from the West (Europe/N. America/Australia, New Zealand) DO NOT expect life in Cambodia to be "similar" to living in the First World.  Cambodia is a Third World country and things that we Westerners take for granted.........safe roads, good medical care, healthy food supply, a law-abiding citizenry, little corruption in government are NOT things you can count on here. BE AWARE OF THAT.
2)  People are people. Cambodians want to live their lives in peace, earn enough money to take care of their wives, children, (and their elderly parents), yet they live in a country where there is LITTLE opportunity.  Life is hard for them, but, in general, Cambodians love to laugh, enjoy the company of others and are an amazingly "laid-back" people.
3)  Above all, if you decide to try living in Cambodia, BE PATIENT!..........it will serve you well.
4) OPTIONAL - try to learn to speak Khmer.  Teachers are cheap ($10/hr) and the Khmer people will be thrilled that you are trying to learn their language.  It will enrich your experience immeasurably.

1. Learn as much Khmer as you can.
2. Be patient & forgiving.
3. Choose well who you spend your time with.
4. Befriend a trustworthy local, who can clue you in.
5. Have your finances in order unless a well paid job awaits you.

I have just one tip to give : jump on the first plane to Bangkok  :D

If you are a western woman coming with Western husband beware..  The prostitutes here are predatory,  relentless and mostly liars,  some thieves,  some drug addicts and some with aids.. Mostly absolutely gorgeous as well!!
I lost my beautiful man of 10 years to a life of bar girls.  I am a statistic.  Talk about this,  be honest with each other,  they call it catching yellow fever.

Wow....sorry to hear about what you obviously feel is a terrible turn of events in your life. Im no relationship expert but i was married once in brasil and divorced in san francisco. It seems to me that if a relationship is strong and fully committed by both parties no amount of beautiful, lying, drug atticted, hiv infected thieving prostitutes could tear it apart...just saying. Also, whoever "they" are that call falling for a khmer girl is a racist and inaccurate bunch of idiots. Khmer people are as you know because of their close proximity to india darker than other asians. As far as liars go i dont think they lie as much as the foreigners that come to their country expecting something that it is not. So my advice to a western woman coming with a significant other is khmer woman can be very enchanting, graceful, loving, and caring much more so than western woman. They will be willing often times to take a much more subservient role in the relationship even allowing  their man to go out as much as needed as long as he comes home and fulfills his responsibilities financially. So if your relationship is shaky dont be surprised is he takes up with a beautiful khmer girl much younger than he and im not talking about a prostitute per say because beleive me they're are not all in the sex trade. If your relationship is solid you have nothing to worry about....well nothing more than you would back home anyway.  I think racheldp59 youre  a little off base putting all the blame on some "relentless"  desperately poor prostitutes and should ask yourself  why your  "beautiful man of 10 years" choose to leave for  a life of young "predatory" bar girls? Sounds like your beautiful  man has some serious issues hes trying to work on.