Been offered a teaching job in Kuwait

I have been offered a teaching job in Kuwait for a September start, I am seriously considering moving out over there. But the big differences in culture is the thing that is holding me back
Any advice or recommendations?
Any teachers already out there or thinking of moving out there want to tell me more about their role and how they have found teaching is

Thanks guys
Gemma

Hi GemC. I've also been offered a Job teaching in Kuwait and can't wait to start! I've already accepted my offer and should hopefully get the contract through this week.
My main concern was Kuwait's' proximity to Iraq and the ongoing IS problem, however there are recently bolstered US bases across the country that should be a large deterrent.
As for the cultural difference...hey you only live once right? Your contract period will fly by, you probably have the potential to make a fair few bob, what's the worst that could happen? You hate it so you hand in your notice and you fly home.

I don't know what school you have been offered a job at (I'm heading to BSK), but I know they are flying all the new staff out on the same day. What a great chance to connect with new people! The other differences like no alcohol, personal relationships etc, I'm sure, where there's a will there's a way if you can't wait for the holidays to come around!

Hello Gemma,

I would like to inform you that I have created a new discussion from you post in the Kuwait Forum so as to get more interaction.

You can also try to browse the different discussions available on the forum to gather information.

I hope the members will respond to you soon.

Thank you
Yuveshen

Kuwait is a nice place to be

Hi, congrats on the job!

Do you know if the BSK require all teachers to have a PGCE? Do you think a CELTA would suffice?

Thank you! And I don't have a PGCE as I obtained QTS through the new Direct Teacher Training. I'm afraid I don't know what CELTA is so you should just ask them if they do.

They are extremely friendly and have been helpful in answering any questions I have fired at them.

Let me know how you get on!

Anthony

i dont think CELTA is relevant for BSK...

Certified English Language Trainer for Adults.. kind of says so right in the name? i dont know what a PGCE is, but CELTA is a course taken over the summer, 800KD, dont think that qualifies you to teach kids.