British citizens - how can I vote?!

Hi all,

I want to vote in the general election this May, but I can't see how to set it up from here.

The plan is to appoint a proxy in the UK, but the registration process seems to involve exchanging documents by post, which is going to be a problem here.

Anyone fellow Brits been through the process? Any advice?

Thanks in advance,

British citizens moving abroad

You can register as an overseas voter for up to 15 years after leaving the UK, as long as:

you're a British citizen
    you were registered to vote in the UK within the previous 15 years (or, in some cases, if you were too young to have registered when you left the UK)

Just register to vote in the normal way. https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

You have to register before April 20th

Thanks. I had already started the online registration, but it seems to assume that I can receive snail mail (possibly to confirm my details in writing), which is not a safe bet in Cambodia. Is that not the case? Or is there a way around it?

Of course you need an address in any country so you can be registered as a voter. That's why post offices overseas have P.O Boxes, if you move about a bit.  The British Government have to have some sort of line in the sand of where you are in the world. You cannot influence age-old government UK policies from the middle of nowhere. It gets me how some people think they are special cases..... I guess its a case of conform or dont bother voting.

Hi Gravitas,

I'm not looking for special treatment, I just need advice based on how other people have managed it. I really have no idea where to start and I'm not willing to give up just yet. Do you know how long it takes to set up the PO box, how much it costs, and where I can get started?

Or (long shot) is it possible to get everything directed at my proxy in the UK and have them relay everything back and forth?

Many thanks.

You can nominate a proxy of course, but first you have to register as a non-resident voter.