Home/Bar-Restaurant in Barrio Boca Nueva, Montellano.

My girlfriend lives in Barrio Boca Nueva, Montellano. She is Haitian with a visa to live in DR. I noticed that many of the homes in her barrio have businesses like stores  and hair salons that are incorporated into the structure of the house. I would like to buy her a house to live in and to operate a bar/small eatery out of. There is a bar on Route 5 called Vasilon and another in Congrejo called Roberto Bar. These are locals bars, not tourist attractions. My motivation for doing this is so she can own property and a business in order to get a visitor visa to come to New York and see if she likes it. I know that that seems like an expensive way to get to know someone BUT the cost of these homes are in the 20K-40K range and from the looks of it it does not seem like these are highly regulated operations. The only other way of getting her to the USA is by Fiance visa and with that , you must marry in 90 days. A big commitment with not enough time to see if a relationship can be successful in the Big city. To me , setting her up with a house and business is cheaper and  financially safer for me and regardless of the relationship outcome, altruistic. Does anyone know what the regs are in these barrios? Can I help her buy a house and have her run a bar/diner out of it without incorporating and going through all the legalities that a bar owner on the beach or in a tourist area would have to ?

First welcome to the forums!  So, what kind of "visa" does she have?  It might make a difference. 

We cannot encourage you to do anything illegal. Not registering a company and declaring it would be considered illegal. That being said,  lots of people do it.  As a foreigner she will be under more scrutiny then a Dominican.  Its a bit of risk.

Buying her a house...... damn where do I find someone like you????  Seriously I understand your motivations.  I am not sure it will work but it is your call.

Welcome.

Not sure you are going about this in the right way.  Lots of pitfalls ahead for you. This is a long, long drawn out process. And Planner is right if  you don't go about it legally your chances are vastly decreased..

Good luck

Bob K

But they are better chances with me..... right Bob.......LOL

Siempre

Bob K

I must ask her. It is a visa that she must renew every few months . She must travel to Haiti to do it. She usually goes to Dejebon. If it is straight up to pay the taxes and incorporate, I wouldn't want to go through the expense of buying property only to have the risk of being hassled. Its just that I see one house on the corner of her street that has a grocery store operating out of basically a room of the house that they opened the outside wall to the street.
I know that buying her a house seems extreme but its a house in the barrio. They go for what one would pay for a new minivan in the USA. I'm not rich but I am not totally selfish either. It is a way to show the US consulate that she has roots in her "home" country so that she does not pose an immigration risk to them when applying for a Non-immigrant visitor visa. Like I said before, this would give her a chance to come to New York. She is young and I am aware of the risks of a poor young woman coming to the States and deciding that her world has expanded and so should her expectations. I even told her despite being met with her protests to the contrary, that that could happen. Regardless, if it did not work out, she would have something in DR to fall back on. It just looks like people do whatever they want with their property in these areas. I could not open up a grocery store out of my house in NY because it is not commercially zoned. Do they have such zoning in DR? Where could I research it?.........and thank you all for welcoming me to this board and responding to my inquiry.

Ok so its a bit confusing.  She is getting a visa from Haiti not the DR. SO having anything in DR will not prove she will return to Haiti where she is getting the visa.

No DR rules are valid here. No property or bank accounts here are going to help her prove to Haiti or the USA she will return to Haiti.

I think I will consult an immigration attorney before making any moves.

That might be a good idea

Bob K

Great idea.

It is always best to throw a cup of water on a tiny fire than wait until it is a conflagration. Is there a large age difference?   When you buy an SUV, it doesn't have the possibility to bite you on your ass & break your heart.   You might not be "rich", but you have enough to take a chance  for an unknown result.   I admire your generosity, but am afraid the ride may not prove fruitful.  Good luck & hope it works out for you.  Does she have a passport?    (moderated: no illegal advices here please)  Good luck!

Gypsy getting a Canadian visitor visa is even harder. And please don't publicly suggest anyone cross the boarder illegally.... we do not encourage that.....

Yup warnings are appropriate here........... move slow, take your time.....

Gypsy, careful chum. You are giving the wrong kind of advice.
Wild 6 rider:
As a Haitian she CAN get a US visitor visa far easier than a Canadian one.
As far as buying a house in Montellano for her it is very risky at the least.
The Gov't is investigating there for illegal Hatians living in houses
built under devious circumstances.
You BETTER get a LOT more advice from friends, Gov't. & professionals.
Read ALL above posts, also the forum on
Marring a Dominican.
Good luck!
Tread softly.
Remember, think with the BIG head.

Sorry,  My thoughts are for the people & not on breaking the law.   You are correct in admonishing me.  My enthusiasm sometimes blinds me to reality.  Please forgive this aging curmudgeon.    I shall attempt to rein in my good wishes & keep them on the right side of the law.

Forgiven honey,  no worries. WE all know you mean well.................

Do as I do and use your age as an excuse....:D:D:D:D

Bob K

Don't need an excuse.  I did it & own up to it.  I shall be more circumspect in the future.   I don't require anything to hide behind. Thank you Bob for your advice even if not needed,   Thank you again.

Gypsy, takes a good man to fess up!
I have had the unfortunate reasons to admitting
mistakes. There are no real reasons as you say.
Just excuses. :)

Tomas,  it doesn't take a "good" man to admit a wrong, just a man.  We will get along just fine when we meet,  we are mentally "kin".  Thank you for the good words.

Hey Gypsy, I calls 'em like I see's 'em chum!
So when are you coming down?

Some time in May when the plane fares drop to reasonable rates.  Fares to SD are always cheaper, but add the time & expense to get to Cabrera & almost the same.  POP is a hell of a lot closer, plus many friends there to see for a day or so.

OK, I'll get back to you.