Any normal people around :)

Okay, i am here since a month and yes i admit it, i can't take this split society and looking forward to meet mixed people... this boys/family/ladies only community is very strange for me.

i don;t mind if we go for coffee or play cards or offroad/camp together, but i just need to get this normal society look i am used too, so here is the question... anybody there?! :)

Who said that you are normal?

Maybe the Saudi's find themselves very normal and you a stranger....

Please, don't say who or what is normal.

Apparently you have misunderstood my post and decided to take it offensive instead of  taking it lightly. Regardless that I have already stated what is abnormal, in terms of splitting the society, nothing else.

Any by the way, you are right, what is normal for me, maybe not normal for u  because it's simply irrelevant.

Anyway, thanks for dropping the line; )

I am... everything here is like... what ever! I just want to finish my contract and get out of here...

It's curious just how many people treat expatriating to another oountry, another culture, like it's nothing different than moving across town to a new apartment. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Being an expat and adapting to life in a new country, especially one where the culture may be vastly different than what one is used to is a daunting task at the best of times. Many undertake such a move with no more advanced planning than they'd put into arranging a social outing, maybe even less.

One must look at hundreds of different aspects in order to make the adaptation successful, or even determine if the move is a good "fit" in the first place. This takes planning, lots of planning.

Things that should be considered are:

Cultural differences
Language barriers
Employment availability, Labor laws and wage scales
Differences in law (both Criminal and Civil) from what you're used to
Government stability
Public Security and crime rates
Bureaucratic processes
Tax laws and existence of any bilateral tax treaties with your home country
Major social issues and the overall socio-economic condition of the general population
Educational opportunities (especially for those who have children)

The list goes on and on. Yet, many make the move simply because they've been offered a job that looks appealing to them and don't do the homework that it takes before taking the plunge.

If you weren't aware of the strict separation of men and women in Saudia Arabia before you arrived there then you just didn't do your homework. If you did know about it and went there anyway, then you grossly underestimated the importance of this part of SA culture and how it would effect you personally.

It brings to mind the old saying about expatriation.....

"PEOPLE DON'T PLAN TO FAIL, THEY JUST FAIL TO PLAN."

Cheers,
James         Expat-blog Experts Team

Unfortunately James,  I have done my homework well and you have only wasted ur time n effort writing the below.

It's interesting though how couplw of comments Are negative and more into pointing fingers than just reply for a very simple coffee break or hangout...what a petty!

Normal is unlikely as far as expats go.
You have to be at least slightly mad to wander off abroad and live there full time.

The only thing that really matters when it comes to the locals is, make sure you understand and respect their ways.
I've had terrific fun leaning what makes this Indonesia tick, and met a bunch of fantastic people who've help me do so. Hope you have the same fun times.

PS - I'd skip the card games - I understand the cops can get really funny about such things.

Well said James.. 

Some people are ignorants.. Just because they've been to few countries.. They know it all..

What is norm anyway??

Mkhatibx wrote:

It's interesting though how couplw of comments Are negative and more into pointing fingers than just reply for a very simple coffee break or hangout...what a petty!

I can understand why you attracted such comments.
Many of us moved with new families and friends, so we wandered straight into a new 'normal', without all that messing about trying to find our feet in our new world, or are so adventurous, we jumped in with both feet, really going all out to learn about our new country.
We also hear from way too many, "My home country is so much better" expats - my gawd they bug me.
If their home country is so much better, they should get a flight home.
I had a few problems, mostly because the nearest place I could buy baked beans was two hours drive away, not the slightest sign of Indian food, and not a single heartattackburger joint anywhere near me.
However, I soon got into local food, and managed to live without my beans.
I still can't find a decent Indian restaurant; I can cope but I would really love one around here, one as good as the places we get in England.
I can get the beans now, and my wife makes great burgers, so the Indian food is the only thing I really miss.
I'm having some next time I go into Jakarta, and I don't care how much garlic is on my breath.

Masita wrote:

What is norm anyway??

Depends who you were, and who you are now.

My norm was getting over a large bike, getting drunk, and doing very naughty things with biker chicks.
When I opened a business, normal was working like crazy, all hours of the day and night, going home and eating pork sausages or ordering an Indian.
My normal now is not drinking booze at all (I feel so much better in the mornings), eating home cooked food most of the time, and trying to look after two kids and a beautiful lady wife.

I'm not always that great at it, but I try.
(I still have the odd dream about a bike ride ,a biker bar, and a biker chick - hope I don't talk in my sleep)

It may take sometime dear and as soon u find good friends , u may start liking the place

sound you are coming from first world country that u cant adopt to saudi environment.
since u r coming arabian country i don't think u can find any barrier here