Can we book an appartment in advance ?

Hello everybody,

I am expatriating in Malta in july and spending a week there in april.
May i start to visit appartments then? If i find one, can i book it for july, like officially with papers and a caution and everything? Or is it risky cause the landlord/agent can rent it to someone else ?

Thank you,

Camille

You can certainly look at apartments when you are in Malta but if you want to reserve it until you come to live in Malta you will have to pay the rent .  If you don't then it will be available for anyone else to rent it and may not be free when you return.

Terry

Hi.

What area are you looking for. In birzibbuga i have a friend who rents apartments. Sea front view over looking the bay. How long you looking for ect.

of course you can but i wouldnt recommend it as photos are often misrepresentations of the real state of the property..... old photos.....and you wouldnt know the areas services etc and its location relevant to noise and annoyances.....  also most properties rarely show the exterior  - and for good reasons!!!! -  unless you can get someone who knows you to inspect for you..

I have reserved an apartment in advance - though was living here when we did it. Went to look at it in February, wasn't available until April, but we agreed and signed contracts and got receipts. Tenants are moving out mid-March.

It was quite difficult to get the landlord to allow us to look - he was worried that it would disturb the current tenants. But we got there in the end, with much reassurance that we didn't expect them to tidy up for the viewing, etc.

Landlord is happy because he has no void period. And also very nice - he's given us a week's "inspection time" when we can go have a look at the place after the current tenant's have moved out and tell him what we need to make the place feel more like home.

Thanks for your answers. Toon i woudn't be chooosing my appartment through the internet, i'm spending a week in Malta in april.
Well, i guess i'd prefer pay one or two weeks in an hotel in july and visit, rather than paying rents for nothing.

hi there i spent a week in a hotel whilst i was looking for the right appartment it is much safer this way least you can pick the one you are happy with barbara