Why do Clerks Ask for Cedula Numbers at the Grocery Store?

?

Since we know you are applying for your residency visa, normally a pre-requisite for a cedula,  I suspect your reason for posting this question has more to do with the practicalities of buying stuff in stores than understanding the philosophy behind EC documents and bookkeeping.

1. At this point in your journey, a copy of your passport should suffice when buying any product in Ecuador.  In fact, clerks sometimes request to see one's passport (not your cedula) if they think you are an obvious Gringo.

2. Consider showing ID at any store when asked without worrying about why they need to see it, and in that way, spend as little time as possible thinking about Ecuadorian bureaucracy and bookkeeping.

By the way, I made a color copy of my cedula on my printer and show it routinely when asked.   I would carry the original only for banking and if I know a government employee or airline will need to see it.  I have never been denied approval to make a store purchase for lack of an original document.

If you still need a reason for the cedula-request, choose one of these:  it's the law...it's common practice...it's company policy...just in case there's a problem...our accountant may need it.

You were right not to question the clerk's reason(s).  Keep the line movin'.

cccmedia in Quito

Are you paying with a plastic card?

We shopped at supermarkets in many places in Ecuador and nobody asked for ID. We paid in cash though.

Buy your groceries with cash?

I got my Cedula now. And yes, when I go to the big grocery stores they ask me for my Cedula number.

Congratulations on getting your cedula :top:

Other possible reasons the clerk wants your cedula number:

-- There could be an audit.

-- "El Jefe made me do it."

-- It's always been done that way.

As a bona fide cedula-holder, you now have the equivalent of a bachelor's degree in Ecuadorian Bureaucracy for Expats.

That means you already know this about your original question:

Whatever the correct answer is today here in Quito is different from the correct answer tomorrow in Cuenca is different from the correct answer next Tuesday wherever you are. :dumbom:

cccmedia in Quito

Some new legislation was put in place recently (the laws here are continuously changing and unpredictable) which requires stores to record your ID on purchases $20 or more. (This doesn't apply to the mercados, small tiendas or almuerzo restaurants (not that you spend $20 on almuerzo!) but does seem to apply to the larger companies. I believe it has something to do with IVA refund claims and general bookkeeping and a certain amount of governmental nosiness.