Employment in Southwest Wales

Hello, Bore da!
We want to move and semi retire to Newcastle, Emyln just East of Cardigan. My biggest concern in moving to Wales is in finding jobs to supplement our retirement income.  What is the employment situation there? My husband is an Assoc. Professor teaching Art, Graphic Design, Marketing and Advertising, with a past career in these fields. Is the teaching certification very lengthy?
I am a graphic artist working in ALL facets of a newspaper (except writing/reporting). We both love what we do, but will work anywhere.
Would our age be a serious problem? We are both healthy and energetic.
Diolch!
Angela

Hi there Angela,

What a lovely country to retire too, Although I no longer live there, I hope I can give you some news.
Like everywhere the recession hit most places hard, but slowly places are recovering. I see that you are coming over from the USA, will you be needing some kind of Visa to work?
I had a quick look on the net and there does seem to be quick a few jobs up for grabs. You husband could always do home tutoring as I doubt there would be that much work in his field unless he got a part time job in a college or school. He would need to buy the Educational Time (TES) that is where all the education jobs are advertised. They are not in the local newspaper.
For you, you could contact local newspapers and ask. If any of you are willing to do other work. I found this site for you to look at. 
http://www.indeed.co.uk/jobs-in-Cardigan

I hope what I have given you is of some use. If I can help in any way, please drop me a line. Happy Hunting.

Simon

Hi Angela,

Welcome to Wales when do you hope to arrive!
Hubby and I are Aussies who relocated with his work to VA, USA in July 2001.  However, on February 4th, 2015 we arrived in Cardiff, Wales following a personal choice to relocate to build and develope our own Start-Up Business throughout Wales!  So 1 month in and we are thrilled with the area of Cardiff; We've found it to be filled with super friendly and welcoming locals! 
I wish you well in your relocation project as well, in your job search.   We are here on a Ancestral Visa and plan to work for ourselves!  When do you hope and plan to arrive?  How's your Visa process progressing or do you already have that covered?  But please feel free to connect via a pm for any reason, questions or simply just to connect!  Your welcome to also to send me a FB friend request should you desire?

Simon, Thank you for the great link! Yes, I have already inquired about a visa. It will cost $1,200 and may take up to 6 months to acquire. The gentleman at the British consulate here said that it probably won't take that long because my husband is British. Yay!

Hello Aussie Dreamer,

Great hat! I will look for you on FB (Aussie Dreamer?) We plan to arrive in Wales as soon as possible. My husband really wants to have a job lined up beforehand. I know how tenuous this seems but he has actually come very close 3 times. We know that I can come for up to 6 months without my visa. So if he gets a job soon, I can go out with him and set up house. What is an ancestral visa?
Starting your own business in a new country…I am in awe. Best of luck in your new venture!

Angelazzz wrote:

What is an ancestral visa?

https://www.gov.uk/ancestry-visa/overview

Hey there Angelazzz,

An Ancestral Visa is available to all who can prove through documentation that have a natural parent or grandparent (living or dead) that was born in UK.   In my case; my grandmother on my dads side was born in London and then at aged 16 she was relocated by The Banardo's Children's Home to live in Australia. 
With all the required listed paperwork to prove your Bloodline links; This is a fairly simple and quick process; in our case it only took 15 days from lodging our application in the mail.  28 days from online start to Visa answer back!   Proof of Financial situation is also required; you've basically got to convince them that you can afford to support yourselves financially; as your Visa is stamped (No Public Benefits Permitted).
What your plans are towards earning an income etc & Proof of Savings!

My hubby lodged his application at the same time and went in as my Spouse and so we were both granted a Ancestral Visa and therefore, didn't need a job because we were not seeking a Work Sponsored Visa.   We went that route when hubby's employer in Sydney relocated him and us from Australia to America in 2001.  They sponsored us through to us all becoming a USA Green Card Visa holder

This UK Visa is valid for 5 years and thereafter, renuable with a permit to live anywhere throughout Europe.  Until the. Your restricted to living in UK only! 

Angelazzz. I look forward to receiving your (message stating it's you from Expat.com) so then I'll know to welcome your FB friend request.

Please feel free to ask any questions and if I can I'll willingly answer!

Our furniture and belongings took 2.1/2 weeks to Dock in UK. Then another 1 week to clear Customs and be delivered at our door!  We are expecting to take delivery here at our new home next Tuesday = 3 weeks.   

Not at all disappointed in our choice to relocate to live in Cardiff, Wales!

Hello Aussie Dreamer,
Thank you for the great information. My husband holds a British Passport and we are going to work with the British Consulate here in Phoenix. We have decided to wait until he has secured a position. That way we will feel much better about such a big move!
Kindest regards and hoping this happens soon..
Angela