Renting on expired visa

Hi, William.

I've been renting an apartment in the name of my sponsor and want to rent a new place in my name on a standard 30-month contract. My sponsor's my fiador, I have a CPF and I can prove my overseas income. I'm not employed in Brazil. In addition to my fiador's documents, the rental agency is requiring copies of my passport, my CPF and documents proving my income, which it will submit to an official agency. I'm concerned that the office/agency that verifies this information will want to see the page in my passport that shows I'm here legally. Will the agency expect this information, require it and/or will it raise flags if I don't provide it initially? I'm trying to ride things out until the next amnesty. But the catch, I'm told, is you have to stay here until the amnesty is declared, instead of waiting in your home country. Thanks.

Give them only page one of your passport.  It's not illegal to rent to you, and you have a fiador.  The leasing company merely wants a photo ID from you, which in this case, is your passport.  The first page gives them all that they need.  :)

Thanks for your reply. For the record, I'm not concerned about the leasing company. I'm concerned about the agency to which the leasing company will send the documents - SPI (SERVIÇO DE PROTEÇÃO AO INQUILINATO).

Imagina.  The CPF addresses one area, and the photo ID passport, addresses another.  If you look at the SPI website, you probably will conclude that the focus is to ensure that you are who you say you are and the signing parties to the leasing contract are protected against fraud.  That being said, your visa status whether regular or otherwise isn't relevant for the purposes of documentary support for a leasing contract.

I understand. Thank you.

Imagina! Vai dar certo.  :)

Russell is absolutely correct, the rental agency will only need to see the ID pages of your passport. They don't need (and really don't have the right) to see your visa. It is highly unlikely that SPI is going to want anything else.

One area where you might have trouble with an expired visa is notarizing your signature on the rental contract at the Cartório if you don't already have your signature registered at one (firma aberta). If you don't then it's going to be difficult to register (abertura da firma) since they'll want both your passport ID pages and your valid visa.

Cheers,
James   Expat-blog Experts Team

Hmmm. Good to know. Thanks.

I did the cartorio thing, with multiple signed originals of the lease.  My photo was taken, as was my thumbprint. I presented my CPF, and my passport.  But as is normally the case (there can be exceptions), my passport (first page only) was used simply for verifying my personal information, such as date of birth, passport number, parents' names, and the like.

There is always the chance that a government agency or a private business will consider the entirety of the passport, and that means the pages with visa stamps.  However, it's extremely unlikely in rental situations, and also in domestic travel.  No guarantees, of course, but there is comfort in knowing how it normally plays out.

Hi Russell, mostly correct, but all Cartórios act like they're a world all unto themselves and they love to make up their own rules as they go along. While going strictly by the book they're supposed to verify the visa situation some do not. Others however will.

I used to think that we weren't required to show our passports for domestic travel (air or ground), but I've recently found out I was wrong on this point. Both ANAC (Agência Nacional de Aviação Cívil) and ANTT (Agência Nacional de Transporte Terrestre) require foreigners produce their passport or Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro on domestic flights and interstate bus trips. Don't know if it's entirely legal, but they demand it.

Cheers,
James

James, I always show my passport when I fly - DOMESTICALLY.  It's only used to match the boarding pass.  That means page one only.

Yes, all Cartorios are different, and since Brasil is such a huge country, what works in one area, may not work in another, and what is absolutely correct in practice, may not appear so to you, based on numerous valid experiences that you, and other posters have shared.

I appreciate that you have scored my posts.  Sometimes, my posts are scored highly, and sometimes, not so highly.

More important than your scores, is that your site provides a vital service for everyone, and that members such as myself can share their standard and non-standard experiences.  Together, as a complete package, they constitute wonderful guidance for everyone.

Abracos!

:)

You got that right Russell, we stick together here, because we have power in numbers.  :lol:

The more we share our experiences, the easier it is for those who come after us. Your postings are always up there on top!

Cheers,
James

James, you raised a really important point.

Brazil has laws and rules, and sometimes they are enforced to the letter, and sometimes they are ignored, and sometimes, new requirements are created on the spot.

What works one day, might not work the next.  In practice, maybe some things are less rigid, but that could change at any time, or any place, without advance notice.

Sometimes the tiger bites, and sometimes it doesn't.  Either way, it's still a tiger.

:)

Thank you both for the dialogue. It's exactly why I didn't spend hours trolling the web and came straight here instead. This site and all its contributors are invaluable.

I'm stealing the tiger line, by the way. So apropos for this country.

Difficult really,  the agency will need either a copy of locally issued Brazilian ID such as your RNE card confirming you are a foreigner registered with Police Federal or your passport with your Visa and foto ID in it as well as your CPF  which all verifies your status in Brazil. If youre on an expired Visa, you might still get a rental contract at the risk of the agency, depends on the agency, but its hard to say if they will do it.  Might be better to rent a property with no contract involved.

Success, after much trepidation. The man at the cartório barely glanced at the first page of my passport, took the photocopy and a copy of my CPF. Maybe going very late on Friday helped - who knows? Several documents later, I had a rental contract and a new apartment.

This time, the tiger didn't bite.

Thanks for all the advice. At least I went in with my eyes open.