Moving to France with a little girl in Reception

Dear all,

I may have to move to Reunion (French island) and since few people speak English there, I try the English forum for France :) Reunion being in France school regulations are the same as in France. At the time, we are in Mauritius and she attends an international school based on the British curriculum.

First things first: language won't be an issue since we are both French and since my little girl already speaks French. She is in Reception right now.

Here are my questions:
- although in the Southern hemisphere, Reunion's school year is from September to June, should a child start school in September (and miss the last term here), or start in January (and miss the first term there)?
- are children discriminated by their teachers if they learnt to write like in the UK (ie. separated letters)? will they have to learn to write with "cursive" letters?
- which class matches Reception? Year 1?
- what should be done to register a child (before leaving, ie. not knowing which street we'll live in - we know the city though but it's a big one)?
- anything else good to know when switching school systems?

Best regards.

Hi -
Our daughters transferred across from the British to the French system at the start of 2014, and like yours, they spoke French already.
When you start your daughter in school really depends on what you want to achieve. Ours started in January, which was the middle of the school year in both countries, because we felt it important that they did not have a gap. It's not the easiest thing to start in the middle of the year, but I am sure that all the teachers will do everything they can to support your daughter.
The class that your daughter is in will depend on the year of her birth: if she was born in 2009, she will be in Grande Section, and if she was born in 2010, she will be in Moyenne Sectionne.
In either case, you do not need to worry about handwriting, because in France nobody does formal reading or writing until the year after Grande Section, in CP. So your daughter will not be reading or writing in class just yet.
That was in itself of great concern to us, however, we found that our daughter who transferred into CP from Y1, did not suffer from this late start. Instead, learning to read and write in French was much easier because she could already do it in English (you will need to keep up the English reading and writing at home in the interval).
Also, our daughter now has two separate styles of handwriting: one in English (print) and one in French (cursive). We, also, were worried about how she would adapt to the cursive, but in fact it was not at all difficult, and now she is pleased to have different writing for different contexts. Kids find switching between the two much easier than we do as adults.
You'll have to wait until you arrive if you want to register her for a state school, as you need proof of residence to do so. But the good news is that the Mairie is obliged to find her a place. If you go private (usually 90 per cent state-funded and therefore more affordable than in other countries) you can visit schools and apply in advance for payment of a deposit (but each school will have its individual process, so the only thing you can do is ask).
If you want to know more about the differences between the two systems, please message me directly and I would be happy to answer any questions you have and to offer moral support.
Good luck!
Emily.

Thanks Emily :) This addressed pretty much all my questions.

Good news about the Mairie obliged to find her a place :) From what I recall, state schools are pretty good in France (I know it does vary from school to school): I guess we'll go with a state school, especially since most private private schools are religious-based if I'm correct (we are not Roman Catholics). And the few quids saved will allow us to purchase English books for my daughter to read ;)

I thought Grande Section was Reception. My daughter was born in June 2010 and she is in Reception. Maybe that has to do with the year starting in January in the Southern hemisphere.

Have a nice day!

Hi. Yes, the French school years are determined by calendar year of birth. English school years are determined by your birthday falling within the school year (September-August). Thus, like your daughter, my younger one, born in April 2010, is in MS in France but reception in the UK.

And yes, most private schools are Catholic, although you don't have to be to attend.