New Member - Seeking A Little Guidence

Greetings all
I am looking to move, within a year, from the USA to Uruguay to enjoy my golden years.  Have done some of the ground work and I am currently selling anything of value that I would look at leaving here, house to go up for sale soon.  If possible, I am looking for a little enlightenment on the following.

I am an IT professional, PM, BA and coder.   Since that is something I enjoy, would like to continue on a part-time or remote basis.  How is the IT world around Uruguay?  Keeping up with the rest of the world?  Any demand for IT pros?

Also I am a competitive shooter.  Can anyone advise what it would entail to bring an assortment of firearms when I move?  Any restrictions on type, number, ammunition, etc.?  I have been a competitor multiple times in Pan Am FISTAC events.  Additionally I hold certifications as an instructor in multiple shooting disciplines.

In that I dabble semiprofessionally woodworking, any thoughts on bringing my tools to be considered?  All the big stuff is wired for 220v already.

Thanks

Dojidog wrote:

Can anyone advise what it would entail to bring an assortment of firearms when I move?  Any restrictions on type, number, ammunition, etc.?  I have been a competitor multiple times in Pan Am FISTAC events.

Of course there are weapons-import restrictions.  No country would allow an Expat to bring in unlimited weapons.

Regardless of your experience with Pan Am shooting events, you can expect to be required to follow the laws of Uruguay.

Bad idea:  expecting to get reliable information on a sensitive issue such as gun import from non-attorney Expat.comgers.

Better idea:  Since you're serious about this, get an experienced UR attorney advising you, and a copy of the relevant gun-importation laws in a language you understand.

You can probably handle your sophisticated woodworking tools the same way, with the same attorney.

Among other things, a good attorney can advise you on how the laws are being interpreted and enforced, and specific steps to take to keep yourself out of trouble.

cccmedia

HI Dojidog,

There is a somewhat dated post on the gun subject here: http://www.expatexchange.com/expat/inde … ;skey=guns

I suggest you bring everything you might think you'll ever need in a container and start your residency application. You will pay a bond to get your belongings from the container which will be returned to you once your residency is approved. Good quality tools can be difficult to find here and expensive. Specialty tools will have to be imported. There is not a market large enough in Uruguay to support specialized items. If you speak Spanish you can start the residency application yourself or there are many consultants here only too happy to help you.

You can get a decent transformer and run the 127v stuff, but anything timing based will not work correctly as the frequency is different here.

Regarding using your IT skills, you can do remote stuff through web sites that hook you up directly with clients internationally a la airbnb (sorry, can't remember such a site off-hand but a search should find some hits). There is a well-developed IT industry in Montevideo but be aware the pay will be peanuts. You will find good employment info at http://www.internations.org/uruguay-expats/forum.

I hope this has been useful. If you have further questions I'm always happy to help. If you want to talk real estate or anything else privately, send me a PM.

Thank you

An out-of-date thread and a recommendation from a real-estate vendor to  "bring everything" (including all firearms) in a container as you start the Spanish-language visa paperwork...may make sense to some.

To me it sounds like a recipe for disaster.

You require specific, quality legal advice on how to prepare for the eventual appearance on the scene of Uruguay customs agents.

If you can afford to amass collections of guns and sophisticated woodworking tools, you should do the right thing and protect your property by advance, considered planning.

cccmedia, Ecuador investment-visa holder

Excellent suggestion by ccmedia. It seems you have not done your homework as thorough as needed.
Contact an attorney and a relocation professional and save many headaches or worse have to reverse your move. This is a big step and not the time to save a few bucks.

An out-of-date thread and a recommendation from a real-estate vendor to  "bring everything" (including all firearms) in a container as you start the Spanish-language visa paperwork...may make sense to some.
To me it sounds like a recipe for disaster.
You require specific, quality legal advice on how to prepare for the eventual appearance on the scene of Uruguay customs agents.
If you can afford to amass collections of guns and sophisticated woodworking tools, you should do the right thing and protect your property by advance, considered planning.

AGAIN AN EXCELLENT RECOMMENDATION BY CCMEDIA!