Getting a Job in Muscat

Hi

Planning to come to Muscat and to stay there as a British Expat. Holding a UK uni degree, done a 120hrs TEFL course and taught English at a high school in Thailand. Counting on meeting the living expenses in Oman by teaching English at a private language school (evening hours) preferably in Muscat. My request to the readers, please give me some pointers how do I go about getting such a job - before or after I arrive in Muscat!

Alternatively, should I fail to get the said teaching job, what type of job can I expect to get and how do I go about getting one?

Many thanks and kind regards - Kib

Hi kibmg,

First you must read the many posts in this forum about the stark disparity that is widely prevalent in the social status between the western expatriates, vs the rest.

Despite the many initiates introduced by the local authorities to curb the rampant influx of expatriates into the Sultanate, the westerners can consider themselves to be pretty safe, as the authorities are more lenient towards them.

Better would be for you to come here and check out your chances, which I might say are pretty good, in landing a job.

If not teaching, you can still find some employment in any of the many other sectors. And pay scales would be better to what you get back home - simply because of the tax-free component. Plus, if employed, you would get paid more than a non-western expat.

To answer your query, personal visit would be the best way of meeting your prospective employer and clinching the job - if you are physically present here. Else, try applying through the company websites.

Good luck.

Hi Sumitran

Thank you ever so much for entertaining me with your prompt and invaluable opinions as well as pointers. I now feel confident enough that, after arriving in Muscat, I'll be able to make the necessary efforts for securing an English teaching job or a job in another sector.

Wishing you all the best and health, with kind regards, I remain

Yours sincerely - Kib