Can anyone help me.

Hi there,

I am trying to contact the Ankara cadastre "emlak tahriri" to look some information regarding my fathers grandarents. The don't seem to speak English. My grand father become orphaned since he was 6months and never knew any information about his mother side. Couple of months we found some information about the name and family name. But because we are talking 100 years ago the ottoman cadastre is the only places that has the information as I got told. Would someone help I'm find out how to access the catalog if I do come to Ankara? Thank you

The TURKISH Vital Statistics Registry doesn't seem to speak English..... wow, now that's a shocker. Who would have figured that?

Cheers,
James
Expat-blog Experts Team

I was also surprised.. :(

Why in the world would you be surprised, that they don't speak English in Turkey, or in Saudi Arabia, or Iran or Tel Aviv??? They are foreign countries, all with their own languages.

Ask yourself this, "If I were in Turkey and called Vital Statistics in Australia, would they be able to speak to me in Turkish????" The answer to that one is obviously NO!!!

English is NOT the most widely spoken language in the world, only 2nd. Somehow many English speakers have the very misguided notion that they can communicate anywhere with only English. As an ESL teacher with a career spanning over 28 years, I can tell you that this idea is pure rubbish. It isn't going to happen!!!

Hi James,

Thanks for your enlightenment mate, I moved to Australia when I was 16 years old and I speak 3 languages.I lived in Europe, Asia and Australia. I am not trying to be arrogant because I speak English and I am not expecting everyone to speak English but from experience in Turkey most government institution have English speaking staff. Anyway hence I am asking for help.

Thanks

Hello there!

Were you able to find someone to help you? I also have similar problem and need to access the  Ankara cadastre "emlak tahriri" to look some information regarding my grandfather.

Hi, if you tell me whole of the story, ı can help you maybe:-)