RHA agreement between Malta and UK

Hi Everyone,
I'm Helen, I am hoping that you may be able to clear my head regarding the RHA agreement, as I have got myself all confused and my hubby hasn't a clue what I'm talking about now.

Overview
We are UK citizens planning to move out to Malta in May for good, we are in our early 50's.
We are coming out at the end of March to look for a property to rent.
When we arrive in May we will be applying for Ordinary Residence under the Self Sufficiency category . We plan to work in time but not immediately, I am planning to set up my own business making nuno felt goods, my husband will either get part time work or set up his own business as an electrician.

Looking at the Gov websites and various blogs we need Health Insurance to get the residency in this category.
I have read that you can apply for the RHA as soon as you apply for residency and get a temporary card, therefore not needing private health cover.
But then I read that with RHA we would lose rights to NHS care even if we needed treatment that Malta could not supply, also we would lose our EHIC card for travelling in other EU countries. Neither of these are we really happy about.

So my main questions are:
When we start to earn in Malta, do we change our status on our residency and become Self employed and do we then not need the RHA as we are contributing?
If the above is the case do we get our NHS rights back and can we be issued with EHIC from Malta.

Would it just be easier and more sensible to have personnel Health cover until we are earning?
It is really expensive in Malta?

I'm sorry if the above is a little confused , but that is how I am over this subject, I'm ok with all the rest i.e. the car etc etc.

Sorry if this subject has been covered and have missed it, but any advice would be gratefully received.

On another note we are really exited about our move.
Thanks
Helen and Fraz

I would suggest you read this link  and it should cover all your questions....

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=273350

Terry

Above is not confusing Helen. There are a few resident experts and no doubt they will comment.

This is my 2 pennies worth:
You need to apply for RHA before you can apply for e-residency under self-sufficiency. It's because having health insurance is a condition you meet fulfil to receive e-residency.

Yes, under RHA you will loose the right of treatment in other EU countries including the UK. This you need to think about and decide as you know about your health and needs better.

You can pay for health insurance upwards of 600 euros pa each depending on your health and keep your UK entitlement. My understanding is that technically we loose the right to NHS treatment when we become resident of another country and stop paying NIC in the UK, but how they will find out you're not resident in the UK if you don't inform them, I am not sure.

One problem with change of status later on is that you have already paid for the year up-front as everything else in Malta (pay monthly is not popular) so I wouldn't expect you get your money back if you later on become employed or self employed.

You have 3 months before having to apply for residency (6 months if a job seeker, registered with Maltese job centre or ETC). My advice is you use this time and decide which path suits you or even if life in Malta is for you. The Maltese summer heat and humidity doesn't agree with everyone.
In the interim period, you receive medical attention free of charge from the clinic covering your residence. There are I think 10 in Malta and some work 24 hours a day for emergencies. Mater Dai Hospital also  received and treats you free of charge. Both only need sight of your UK passport to treat you. You will buy any medicine you need from any chemist shops and they're not cheap or fixed cost as under NHS in the UK.

Best wishes for your new life in Malta.

Have you read this?

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=370643:cool:

Hi
Thanks for your help, I've got my head around it now.
Very informative forum
Thanks again
Helen