So, where does the lonely expat go?

So, I'm kind of passing a difficult time in my private life...
I came here quite a while ago but recently found myself all by myself with no family or friends.

Where does the expat go solo here in Mauritius? What do you do when you're alone?

you try going out for drinks, i don't know about the area where you stay ,
if much is not happening there you might try visiting other places and see if you can mix up with people.
here in the north lots of activities and expats everywhere and you can easily make friends around.
being an expat i don't think it will be hard for you to blend with other expats.
And am up for a drink and a chat if you can make it down to the north, currently in trou aux biches but you can always catch me in grand baie ;)

Jake

television. PS4, internet.. lol
u like to make frnd with local people?

I think bars and clubs are always a good start, but then if you are on your own it might be a bit hard. There are also groups (hashers? I  think) which do sight seeing, expeditions or walks etc. Is there anyone at your work you could hang around with for a bit and extend your network? I saw someone talk about salsa lessons (in another forum) or even language classes, have you thought about these? What do you like to do? Good luck and I hope things pick up for you.

Hi,
I am sorry you are feeling lonely, when we first arrived here almost 4 years ago I was terribly lonely after leaving long time friends and work colleague behind, was OK for my husband as he was in a new job and meeting people all the time.

I know it is easier if you are part of a couple, we went out to the same bar every Friday evening for a meal "Big Willys in Tamarin" and that way we became regulars and we got to know many other people this way.

I started doing voluntary works with Animal Shelters and local Children groups, so my days became busier and through this met many more interesting people and friendships built up from there.

I know it will be difficult to go into a bar alone, but try to find a local one that is busy on the weekends, go during the week even for one beer, that way you will meet the bar staff and other regulars, then when you go on weekends there will be faces that you already know and let it build from there - takes a little time, but persevere.

I do not know the area where you live, so cannot give any advice on whats happening there however there are some good groups in Mauritius that meet at the weekends in various parts of the Island.

One popular one is the Hash House Harriers - its a hiking group, you hike and walk at your own pace, it's quite a social group I believe, take a look and maybe go to one or 2 of them - http://www.mhash.com/index.php

Good luck :)

Forgot to say,  Mauritius Hash House Harriers. They run (walk) every second Sunday at 10 a.m - I have friends who are in this group and they throughly enjoy the days they meet, think they usually end up going to a bar for a drink afterwards.

Another way is if your on Face Book - click your events even if you have nothing on, but on the page there will be suggested events or events going on around the Island, take a look even if your not interested in that particular one, click maybe or like their FB page - then when the next event comes up you will be notified usually.

Many thanks for your replies!

I think I'll start by joining in on the meeting the 7th of March :)