Teaching English Hanoi - Hourly rate

pilotadamp wrote:

YES - I set up my own English Centre and it is thriving!  Hard work writing all the courses, but very enjoyable.

Focus on listening and speaking, not grammar.

All the best...

thanks for the interesting reply.
So you decided that being paid to teach English wasn't worth it - and set up your own school!
I admire you for doing that - but are you earning your $35+ per hour?
And if so would you like me to come and work with you?
I'll teach the maths side as well as the English - I am a fully qualified/experienced UK teacher.
What a team we would make.

And your idea of focusing on speaking/listening - excellent.
Why do you need to write the courses - surely Oxford & Cambridge etc have already done that?
Leave the Vietnamese to teach the  the grammar.

But I am still intrigued about whether you were ever offered your anticipated $35 per hour?!
I ask this for feedback to other job seekers as to what is realistic.
There has been plenty of feedback in this column - where do people get the time?
So many answers to such a simple question.

Although there were two interesting comments:
$18 AFTER tax (I am told tax is 20% on full earnings - another reason I gave up working for peanuts).
Accommodation might be included and free/subsidised.

It's min $ 15 to $25 per hour.

Classic advert......age or race, no problem.
We guarantee you the teaching hours of at least 80 -120 hours/ month, or a full time payment. start from $1,000; $1,500; up to $2,000 depends on your qualification.
Requirement:
-Must be white, native english speaker: American, Canadian, Australian, British...
-Age under 55
- highly education is preferable
- many years teaching experience is preferable
Those who are interested, please email your full CV to Ms. Nguyen, as soon as you can, includes:
- resume
- passport ( main page)
- pic of you
other documents:
- degree/certificate, teaching certificate, legal papers you have ( if any)
Regards.

Rajendra Rijal wrote:

Sorry but....... you cannot have  MINIMUM with two numbers
Minimum here is $15 - quite simple really.
It may be the MINIMUM for Hanoi or HCMC but not for Vietnam.

heliopolis1 wrote:
Rajendra Rijal wrote:

Sorry but....... you cannot have  MINIMUM with two numbers
Minimum here is $15 - quite simple really.
It may be the MINIMUM for Hanoi or HCMC but not for Vietnam.

Same rural, anywhere from a poultry, ( chicken shit ),$10 an hour, BUT they do include accommodation and sometimes even transport, ( xe dap, or shoes? ).
But this year they would have had to increase their salaries in my town, the number of " language centres ", more than doubled, or maybe not???, because the number of Filipinos and NNES also more than doubled.

I understand why the word "white" is added. If you teach English to adults, it doesn't matter whether you are white or black. But when you teach English to children, many of them, especially kindergarten children are scared and cry when they see black teachers.That's why many centers don't want to recruit black teachers.

thuythuy wrote:

I understand why the word "white" is added. If you teach English to adults, it doesn't matter whether you are white or black. But when you teach English to children, many of them, especially kindergarten children are scared and cry when they see black teachers.That's why many centers don't want to recruit black teachers.

So what's your b/s excuse for discriminating against Viet Kieu teachers?

If it's anything like it is here, they stick "white" in because of pure racism.
You can be the best teacher in the world, but it's close to impossible to get a job unless you're white.
The students want a white face at the front of the class, and won't attend if one isn't there.
A crap situation caused by lack of education and understanding, but still true.

Teachers at the center where I work is paid 400.000-450.000 VND (about  $19-22) per hour without any taxes, weekly paid. No extra work, every kinds of materials are ready for you before lessons.

I don't mean that and I don't think  there is something called racial discrimination in Viet Nam. I just said what I myself experienced 3 years ago, when a black teacher got into my class. The children kept crying and we couldn't do anything to stop them. Vietnamese young children are often very shy and some of them even don't want to talk  when they meet any strangers, not only black people.

thuythuy wrote:

I just said what I myself experienced 3 years ago, when a black teacher got into my class. The children kept crying and we couldn't do anything to stop them.

He might well have been a crap teacher, useless with kids, so the crying could be nothing to do with his skin colour.

Fred wrote:
thuythuy wrote:

I just said what I myself experienced 3 years ago, when a black teacher got into my class. The children kept crying and we couldn't do anything to stop them.

He might well have been a crap teacher, useless with kids, so the crying could be nothing to do with his skin colour.

Or maybe he had FB pic's like this one, ( of several ), this bloke has  been teaching in my city for the last 8 months.

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Picture has been removed due to possible infringements of image right and right to privacy.