Residence Documentation Card - Pin Number, ID number

Can anyone explain what the Authentication Pin and Signing Pin are for that have been sent me on the letter notifying that my Residence Documention Card is ready to collect from the Evans Building in Valletta.

Having got the card I am also confused as to what my ID number is - there are several numbers on the card and it is not clear.

I am under the impression that the ID Card and the Residence Card have been combined for EU citizens - is this the case?

your e-residence card number is on the back of the card and will have a letter at the end most likely an a so 000000a

an e-residence card in not an id card however companies in Malta ONLY will take it in lieu of an id card.

A Malta ID card is for Maltese citizens and contains biometric information and may be used as a travel document within the Schengen area.

A Malta EResidence card is for those other than Maltese citizens. It is a registration document and does not contain biometric information and is not a valid travel document.

Your number will end in an A (for Alien)

I think the other numbers may be for your EGovaccount but without reading the letter I couldn't say for sure.
Also, though they send those numbers you may well find they do not function as I distantly remember having to go through a process to get them by another method. But then, I didn't bother with an EGov account.

Yup, those PIN numbers are for when you want to set up an eGov account.

I highly recommend learning your ID number by heart, you'll be asked for it all the time.

Interesting, I have never been asked for my number and only once been asked to show my card on the bus (60+).
Also, now remember I had to go through a process at the Passport Office here (on Gozo) to get new numbers for EGov as those initially issued were not valid but as I said, I never bothered with an account.

I use my id number daily, in fact it is my phone number as well as I had more chance of remembering my home phone number by using it!