Car Rental and Driving in Panama

I am trying to get a final definitive answer on the situation on car rentals in Panama. I have read so many conflicting stories about whether or not it is "law" or "mandatory" to purchase the insurances that the rental company sells. I am renting from Avis at Albrook and using my CIBC Aerogold Visa to pay for the rental. I have a copy of the policy as well as a letter that Visa did up for me specifically saying that they cover me for CDW/LDW in the country of Panama -although they could only give me this in English. As I understand it, I only need to take the "Liability" that Avis offers and I will void my coverage with Visa if I accept Avis' CDW or LDW. Perhaps it is just a crapshoot and there is no definitive answer - maybe each agent tells you something different??

The other side of my dilemma is whether it is even safe for me to be driving alone in Panama. I will not be driving in the city other than to leave Albrook and get into the Interior, and I will not be driving at night. However I have concerns being a female traveling alone. I have been to Panama once before and have done my research; my itinerary includes travel to the Azuero Peninsula, Boquette/David and possible Santa Fe. Maybe I should just take a bus to Chitre and get the car rental from there for my travel in that area and then bus back to the city at the end.?? 
Also I have driven alone in countries such as Mexico and Cuba but I always avoid bigger cities. Is there any truth to stories of locals blocking roads with trees or flagging you down to rob you?

Anyway, I was hoping to get some clear advice from Expats as opposed to the typical "tourist" forums.
Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thank you !!!

From personal experience, all you have to have is the Liability insurance, since you have documentation of your CC coverage.
Be aware, that if something does happen that you need to have your CC coverage phone number handy and call them immediately. DO NOT sign anything that they try to get you to sign, especially if it is in Spanish. Do take pictures and make a diagram of the accident.
Before you leave the rental agency, walk around the car, noting every ding, dent and scratch, keep a copy of this. We also took pictures with our smartphone. Open the trunk, if you are not putting luggage in there, just to make sure there is nothing in the trunk. When we returned the car, we pulled out our copy of the dings, dents and scratches, plus brought up the photos on our phone and the rental agent said OK. We then walked all around the car, to note there were no new dings, dents or scratches. We noted that on the return paperwork, had the agent sign it and give us a copy. One thing they sometimes try is to send you an email stating there was hidden damage and that they have charged your CC for it. Immediately dispute this with the CC Company and it will miraculously disappear.

Greetings "Fuerza"...

With AVIS you should have no problem and English is should be no problem either. Make sure you provide a highlighted copy for them and keep a copy for yourself. Prudence and common sense should be your guide while driving alone. My travel routine to the interior  is like this:
- Landing at Tocumen, I head for dollar rent-a-car...I always forward my paperwork ahead of time to ensure they accept my documents and policy coverages.
- I have my cell phone GPS prepped with my "Map Factor Navigator" App with Panama map already programmed for "interior" travel. (familiarize yourself with the App PRIOR use...)
-stay overnight at one of my favorite hotels (El Milan or the Panams-see trip advisor for reviews)
- Have a great breakfast, check out, activate GPS and head out to my interior town (Sona' Veraguas)
-Watch for radar speed traps by cops on motorcycles in the bushes from Penonome' forward (An inexpensive radar detector from Ebay works very well)

Safe travels...

H

Thanks for the replies ... I feel much better about it now!  :)