Costs of moving from U.S. to Belize- Insight needed

That's the plan. We'll stay in touch and let you know when you might expect a knock on your new door.

Hello, we are thinking about coming down in April. It is much cheaper flying into Cancun, and renting a car for month is also cheap. Is this a good idea or not? Can the vehicle be taken from Mexico into Belize?
We were in contact with a man named Adam, who has a farm outside of Progresso for sale. We were interested, and he said we could come down, and stay. Thing is we haven't heard from him after our initial contact. My girl friend is a Physician, and would their be opportunity for her to work. She has a small retirement, and may need to supplement her income.
We would be interested in renting or purchasing a small farm. Have a Great Day Robert

Greetings Robert,
Yes, it is a lot cheaper to fly into Cancun but you do not mention where you are flying from. I fly from LAX to Cancun for $340 as opposed to $660 to Belize city. I then take the bus to Corozal where our house is being built and have a car there. It is cheaper to rent a car in Cancun and then get the insurance for it to allow you to cross the border. Rentals cars in Belize run $80 a day which is quite high and also suggest a SUV as the local roads are quite rough but the main highway is quite smooth. Beware of the silent police when you drive as these are bumps to slow down the traffic. Regarding your girl friend if she is a doctor and certified I believe she could get some work there as they allow exceptions but think it would be better if she opens a small practice part time. In Belize you can earn up to $99,000 tax free if you own a business. Also, be careful who you buy from and get them checked out.
With regards,
Stephen

Hey Stephan,
You are so very helpful!
By certified; I assume you mean in Belize? She intends to dig into it deeper once we are in country. We both live in SE Arizona. I am originally from Michigan, and the drive to Belize is actually four hundred miles closer. No direct flight from Tucson.
We will probably drive down with the pets, and belongings once we find a place. Do you have work? Do you have pets? When did you move down? Did you buy transportation there, or bring it down? I am starting to down size, and put my house on the market. What to keep, and what to get rid of? Hand tools, power tools, electronics? We have Verizon, and heard our phones will not work in Belize? Need to get a different chip?
I hope I did not scare you off with my curiosity? Once again; thank you so much!

We just flew from DFW into Cancun.  rented a car and drove down to Belize.  no problems at all.  We rented the car from American Car Rental in Cancun.  They were the only ones we could find that allowed taking the vehicle into Belize.
Make certain you have the signed documents from the rental company of approval to cross border.
As you cross border, they will point you to the building to buy insurance, app 14$ we paid for nine days. 
No problems at all.  However, we were stopped in San Ignacio by police, searched our car, checked paperwork closely.  Finally told us they are doing that because we had Mexican plates and were so far from Border.  Just due diligence I guess, a little scary at first, but understood.
We explored San Ignacio area for several days, back through Corozal... Looking for investment property.  Orchid Bay was beautiful!
Good luck on your trip!

Ps....take the time to stop at the zoo if in that area.  It was unbelievable!

Thank You ever so much! I live in SE AZ, and only forty miles from the border. They do the same thing here; I mean with the Mexican Plates. LOL Our plan is some what similar to yours. Plan on looking around in April, and then making the move down shortly there after. We are kind of looking for a small farm, and not so much the beach front thing.
Again, Thank You!

Cochise,

You did not scare me off as it takes a lot to do that. Are you going to do the QRP or residency? If you do the QRP you can bring a car with you and not pay the tax on it along with your personal belongings. I think you are allowed up to $10,000 and then you have to pay. I do not work but my wife does out of the house on the computer. Where do you plan to move to in Belize as we are in Corozal which is very close to the Mexico border. They have cell phone service down there as it is much cheaper than in the USA. Also, you can start a business in Belize and you do not have to claim taxes on it as long as it is under $100,00. Our house should be done within a month and a half and our house in Santa Barbara goes on the market tomorrow and once it goes through escrow we are loading a container and it will be shipped down to Belize city and then to Corozal. Any thing else?

Stephen

If I decided that I wanted to work after I received the QRP, is that allowed? I will be new at the retirement program. I do not have intention of working on the economy, but maybe a home business

Good Evening!
It wasn't me who tried to scare you off. We have to look at the QRP closer. If you are receiving rental money; is that included in the 2k?
We have never been to Belize. What we are looking for? That is hard! I would like a small farm; Yvonne is a Physician , and was thinking about starting a Spa/Retreat. Is a practice a business? Who, and how is it regulated? We are hoping we come back with a whole bunch of answers.
Karen has been of great help. Everyday we are inching closer; starting to downsize, what to keep, and what not t?. Are you doing the ride across Mexico?

Greetings Cochise,

Yes, the rental money is included if it is documented. The thing about the QRP is they can see your bank statements which scares us and why we are doing the residency. We will have to pay the 12.5 percent on bringing things into the country which is okay as if you do not like it there and want to leave back to the US on the QRP you will have to pay the tax when departing the country. I have a great brochure on all of the dos and donts that I can send you but need a email address that I can send it to. It is really helpful and worth the reading but very informative.

With respect,
Stephen

Stephan!
12.5 percent? I have heard as much as 80% 12.5 there are towns in AZ where the tax is that high! Maybe they should refer to it as a tariff? I would also guess the interpatation of value? New, used. or replacement.
email [email protected]

Cochise,

The 12.5% is for general belongings. Regarding your car or auto depends on a lot of things. They want to know model, horsepower, year and if it is a 4 wheel drive. I did get your email and will send it to you. My email is
[email protected]

This is the best for me to communicate.
Regards,
Stephen

Thank You!

If I may step in here just to offer a word of advice, please please PLEASE visit Belize, preferably for an extended period of time prior to packing up your belongings and moving there!  I have know too many people who did that and ended up not liking it for one reason or another, and it's a hefty price to pay to have to turn around and move everything back "home".

We moved to Belize after three visits of 1-2 weeks each.  That really wasn't enough.  I'd recommend renting for at least 3 months at a minimum (six is better, a full year even better) before making the final "move".  Many people move down with just a few suitcases of "stuff", which is smart in case they decide to move back.  We shipped one pallet of boxes down (20 boxes or so), not a container, but after 18 months of living on Ambergris Caye, decided to move back to the US.  We ended up leaving much of what we'd shipped down in our condo for the new owners as we didn't want to pay to ship it all back.  We did take the most important/valuable stuff back in our suitcases.  We were able to get a last-minute upgrade to first class so did not have to pay to check the bags or any overweight charges.

I just want others to learn from our experience as Belize is paradise for some, but is definitely NOT for everyone. I'd estimate only about half of expats who move there end up staying long-term (meaning over 2-3 years).

Wishing all the best to you!

Thank You! We will take your advice seriously. Are you in Mexico now?

No. I am moving alone. Is that a good idea? Let me know your opinion? I am retired USN hope to me more retiree

Thanks. I plan to rent for one year, after that if I am not satisfied I will be back in San Diego. I am not selling my home until I am totally satisified. Thanks for your advice

Cochise8933 wrote:

Thank You! We will take your advice seriously. Are you in Mexico now?

Yes, but not permanently (yet, anyways!)  We have learned from our experience in Belize and are renting in Mexico for six months.  We came down with only a backpack apiece and are staying in a furnished rental, so the commitment is much less.  We have to return to the US after our 180 days are up due to having a tourist visa that expires at that time.  Once we return to the US we'll be visiting our families for awhile (we both still have older parents living), and at that point we'll decide whether to continue our travels in the US or to return to Mexico.  Or a combination of the two.  Mexico is awfully hot in the summer, so we may alternate US and Mexico time.  We shall see!  In the meantime, we are enjoying the culture, the lovely winter weather, and learning Spanish!

Does anyone know if there is rent to own property in Belize? In particular  Corozal?

Could you share the local builders information?

Would you use him again?

Hi Steve66. I'm Larry. I was looking at a post from February, and you said that you were having a house built. Is your home complete? It is now mid July. I'm trying to get a fix on how long it would take. I have purchased property and need information on contractors and building styles. I hear that the style in building varies. If your home is finished? Would you mind sending me a picture? My email is: *** I have a lot in Serenity Sands. I saw a few homes going up in the area, then I saw some in the town. I also seen homes being built in Ladyville. I'm not sure which design that I want to go for. Oh! Then there's that thing called money. :-) . It has its way of getting in the mix. So if you don't mind sharing a few minor details, this would be helpful to me.
Thanks.
Larry S.

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please do not post any personal contacts on the forum. Use private messaging

I might be interested in living there. I am a 71 year old white woman from the Dallas area. Plan on moving within the next 6 months. I'm currently looking for a buddy/companion to drive down with from this area. If they are driving we can buddy up at McAllen and drive down following each other