Costs of moving from U.S. to Belize- Insight needed

Lol yes we do!!! I am just sick of hearing the crap because like I say it is everywhere!!!

Lol..  That is so true!!  There is crime EVERYWHERE!!  And you can't let that rule how and where you live..  You just keep aware of your surroundings,  lock your doors & cars,  and carry a big stick..  Lol

Spoken like a true Texan!

doglady wrote:

Spoken like a true Texan!

LOL.. And that I am Doglady!! ;-)

I m new  to this. but I am looking to move there. Can someone honest help me

And help me, i MEAN GIXE ME INFO ABOUT THE COUNTRY...

What exactly do you want to know about Belize? There are a lot of threads on here about all sorts of things, immigration, crime, moving there, property, etc..

I've only been to Ambergris Caye once this past April and had already bought a lot there prior to ever going.. I loved San Pedro, I loved the island and the reef and I met a lot of super nice and smart expats while I was there.. I'm happy with my decision to buy land to retire there..

It's an entirely different lifestyle that you have in Ft. Worth no doubt, but for me I am happy to live a slower and simpler life style..

NOT LOOKING TOBUY THERE RIGHT AWAY. JUST LOOKING FOR NOW.. THINKING BOUT GOING DOWN THERE IN AUG OR SEPT.. WOULD LIKE TO RENT BUT TRUING TO FIND OUT WHERE THE BEST PLACE IS.. I WAS THINKING SAN PEDRO.. WHAT U THINGK>???

I AM ALREADY RETIRED, JUST WANT A SLOWER LIFE STYLE...

Congratulations on your retirement!! Wish I could retire now but I have to work for a few more years before I can retire..

Well, like I said I loved San Pedro.. I met a lot of nice Expats in San Pedro, spent hours drinking Belikin Beers and talking with some that have been there for over 30 years!! It is more expensive to live on the island because everything has to be brought in from the Mainland. This is true with virtually any island.

From what I've read on here and heard from other Expats, Corozal is a safe and fairly cheap area to live in and has a large Expat community, it's very close to the Mexico border and Chetumal, MX so it's easy to go there for shopping if you want too.

I've also heard that Hopkins and Stann Creek are very nice areas, as well as Placencia. Both are farther down South on the Mainland.

A lot of people have suggested that initially you take a few weeks and just travel around Belize to find the areas you really like the best and what you feel will suit your intended lifestyle best. The bus system is apparently a very good inexpensive way to get around the country. Personally, I think that is a very good idea for anyone considering a move to Belize but doesn't know where they want to live.

My suggestion is for you to just do some web searches on Belize, read the info at the following links:

www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/1955.htm   

travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1055.html   

https://www.cia.gov/library/publication … os/bh.html

These links will give you a factual overview and some history about Belize, then do some web searches for Belize Real Estate and Rentals. There is a LOT of available info on the web.

I had decided on Ambergris Caye before I ever went to Belize because that is the lifestyle I most enjoy. I'm a beach bum by heart and I love to Scuba and Snorkel. I can't afford to retire in Hawaii (my first choice) so I decided on Ambergris Caye since it was closer to Texas and has 90% of what I wanted in retirement and it was affordable for me. I'm planning to build a self sufficient house that can be 100% off the grid if need be but will have full power and internet access.

When I was there in April, I did a day trip to the Mainland for cave tubing and to see Altun Ha Mayan Ruins. That gave me a small look at the Mainland and Belize City. I already knew I didn't want to be in Belize City and after driving through it, there was no doubt that it was not a place for me!!

Belize is a poor country but I wouldn't consider it a Third World country like so many people do. All the same modern conveniences we are accustomed to in the US are available for a price, just as they are in any other country. No fast food but who needs that anyway? No major shopping malls or chain stores, again who really needs them? Once I'm retired I will have no need for fancy clothes and gadgets.. 

Granted they do not have the infrastructure that we have in the US so the roads are pretty bad in most areas. This is because they have an almost non-existent tax base which of course is what pays for the infrastructure!! However, they do not want so much government control in Belize, and higher taxes means more government. More government means less freedom!! As an American and a Texan, I prefer more freedom and less government!!

Hope this info helps you out and feel free to send me a private message if you want..

Very, very helpful post Tex!!!  Thank you!

wolverinevictors wrote:

Very, very helpful post Tex!!!  Thank you!

Thank you!! :-)

LoveBelize wrote:

Hi,  If you want to e-mail me with any questions I can help you out.  [email protected]
Ruby Wood

Belize will be very happy to have you start a business.  to work in Belize you must apply for a work visa and tell them you plan to start a business.  S.S. card etc.  It cost $1,000.00 BZ. each and you do not have to go to immigration every month and pay.  You are stamped in your passport after your first month and it is good for a year.  You can apply for residency and then you are free and clear.  Most people think they should just pay each month but it speeds it up if you do it right.

Does thar price include a child , i am bringing my  13month daughter will i have to pay 1000bz for her to?

Yes you have to pay for a child.  There are school fees also but I really do not know what they are as I didn't bring small children with me.  Basically it is just what I heard from a few friends that did have children in school.  As they have left Belize I can't ask them.

Anyone who decides to explore Belize on the local buses should be placed in the adventurer category.  It is the most available mode of transportation in Belize (if you don't have a car).  Having said that, understand than when a US school bus completely craters and is considered no longer fit for human use, it is bought and brought to Belize and put back into service.  Forget any a/c.  You will be lucky if the window even opens...or closes...depending on what position it was in when it quit functioning.  I would not want to travel from say, Belize City to Corozol on the bus...es. You would first go to Belmopan, then transfer and on to Corozol.  It is slow, hot, and uncomfortable. If you are flying into Belize City, please stretch the budget enough to rent a car.  Mexico is an entirely different story.  Buses are great.

If you are planning on bringing in any amount of your household goods, etc. we can highly recommend Ernesto Perera. Tlf: +(501) 227-3112.  He was of invaluable service to us. He is very honest, been doing this in Belize forever, and can move mountains.  Which, you may need.

Buses from Belize City to Corozal do not go to Belmopan first. They go straight up the Northern, past the airport and past the Boom cutoff.

My one and only Belize bus adventure was from Corozol to BC.  I think you are right.  We did come straight down.  It took so long I guess I was thinking we went through Punta Gordo on the way. LOL!

Umm im alil confused where the bus subject came from lol.. maybe i missed somthing.. but  i was asking what the visitor's permit?  I was reading that visitors permit stamp can be renewed at the cost of us$25 for an additional 30 day periods.. from my understanding Lovebelize' you can pay 1000bz and that will take care of the year visitor permit ??

We call it a chicken bus and I only take a bus from Corozal Town to Belize city as it is the cheapest mode of transportation.  You just dress in something cool for the occasion.  LOL  Why would you go to Belmopan and then to Corozal Town?  That is a long long way around.

You have to go and get your work permit first and then go to immigration and pay for the year.  Basically it is what ever type of work permit you get.  My daughters was for a mgrs. position in our business.  She paid $1,000.

samg35 wrote:

Umm im alil confused where the bus subject came from lol.. maybe i missed somthing.. but  i was asking what the visitor's permit?  I was reading that visitors permit stamp can be renewed at the cost of us$25 for an additional 30 day periods.. from my understanding Lovebelize' you can pay 1000bz and that will take care of the year visitor permit ??

I see your point....lol...not sure where you are headed in Belize. but it is 25US per month, and 50US after 6 months

So there is no need to shell out a large amount of money till you know what you want to do. Immigration will ask you for proof that you have 30 dollars a day per person to live on. That 30 dollars is Belizean not US.

Im heading to the san inagio area..  what kind of proof do you show.. bank statement??

You can go to any ATM and ask for a receipt...that's good enough the first month, after that they will ask for a rent receipt or Electric bill, something that's shows you are actually living here.

Kk thanks :-)

I see a lot of information about building or buying a home, but nothing about taxes and insurances. We are probably looking at a beach front around corozal. Also, what about fish, chicken and beef prices? Thanks

I don't know what taxes or insurance you are asking about but property taxes are pretty low in Belize compared to the US. As for the property insurance costs, that depends on the property type, wood or concrete construction, and location. Pretty mush the same factors that you have in the US for property insurance.

I was just back in San Pedro a few weeks ago and the price of groceries is higher on the Island than on the mainland so I don't want to give any misleading info. I'm also looking at property in the Corozal area now as well. I already own property on Ambergris Caye just North of San Pedro but haven't decided if I will build on it or just hold it and resale it in a few years. The way prices are going up on AC currently, I can probably double my investment there is a few years if I decide on the Corozal area instead.

I'd also like to know about the general food prices on the Mainland in Corozal.

Hello,

I currently live in Corozal.  Our family of 3 spends $300/mo. on groceries.

I just purchased some meat and cheese today and these were the prices:
Chicken boneless breasts: $3.50 per pound.
Ground turkey $2.75 per pound.
Pork sausage:  $4 per pound.
Fish fillets: $6 per pound.
Cheese around $6 per pound for cheddar. 
Eggs are $1.50 per dozen (bring your own carton).
Peanut butter $3 per medium size jar off brand.  Jiff $5.50 per jar.
Fruits and vegetables are cheap and I get 3 to 4 full bags for around $20.

We like to make things from scratch when we can and we eat a lot of stir fries and soups, so our food budget in the States was also around $300 per month.

If we wanted to eat rice, beans, fruits and veg.  with little meat, or milk, and no coffee, chocolate, candy, we could eat for less than $200/mo for the 3 of us.  But I have to have my coffee and we all have a sweet tooth, so it just isn't going to happen.

I have an article on my blog comparing the costs in Corozal to San Marcos, Texas where I just moved from.   You can get to my blog from my profile.

If you want a price on anything specific.  Let me know and I can find out for you.

I

Thank you. We are coming soon to look at a few properties. How are the realtors there?

Wow! You are awesome to reply with such detail. Funny how my 2 responses came from Texans! I'm a Texan living in NM and looking for a quality of life. Looking possibly for a business and home. Do you have any advise on things to consider that I may not have thought of?

I have not purchased property in Belize yet; but I have made many inquires.
Realestate agents here are salespeople just trying to make a living, (I used to be one), with a few extra challenges for them, and you.  Realestate agents are not required to be licensed in Belize, regulated, or trained like in the States.  My advice, e-mail, or call a few,  look at the response times, get a feel for them, ask lots of questions.  Pick the one you like based upon how well they respond, and how comfortable are with them.  If they are all rosy and don't inform you that there may be challenges or delays, they may not be the right one for you.  Don't sign anything without doing your due diligence, witch may include hiring a lawyer as well. 

I am not a business owner, but my understanding of opening a business is that there are some major challenges:

It may be challenging to get required permits.
There is not a lot of disposable income among Belizeans.
Belizeans will prefer doing business with other Belizeans.
There is not a large enough expat population to support most businesses.

There are some business owners on the blog, I want to hear what they have to say.

Thank you for the information and advise. It is much appreciated.

By the way, your blog was great!

What part of Corozal do you live as those prices seem a bit high.

My wife and I are planning to pack up our four dogs and head to Belize for an extended vacation (6 months-1 year-forever) early next year (2015). Our plan is to drive from California and would appreciate all input. I read that 4evrHawk did the drive and has advice, so we'd love to hear from him and others on the subject.

For now, we're just trying to decide the best vehicle to bring, where to camp along the way (figure we have to camp with 4 dogs in tow), and what to do with the vehicle after we exceed the 3 months allowed in Belize with US plates. Seems like it makes more sense to buy a car in Belize than pay 60% to bring one in, but we still have to get there in something.

We'll begin here and expand our list of questions as we go, but we didn't want to overload on our first post.

Thanks in advance - it's nice to join the community!

I am having my house built in Corozal and it is on Serenity Road and hope to have it finished by mid December.I am having my items shipped by a company out of Los Angeles and they told me that in May you can not take your belongings through Mexico under a new law. You might want to check into this.

Macarena Rose is a good realter and honest. Also, on Serenity Road in Corozal there are lots that are reasonable as I bought mine for 15K.

Thanks for the heads up. Odd that they would restrict shipments during a single month. We're planning on leaving by March, however.

It is not for a single month but May is when the new law  went into effect. Where in California do you live? When you come down you can visit us on serenity road and it is called the palms. We are on the main road on the right hand side going toward the water. Hope this helps.

How nice - our first invitation to visit a new friend on our journey!

We live in Fresno. Did you drive down or fly down? How did you decide what to bring, what to leave and what to store for possible later transport?

Thanks for the invite!

I usually fly down to Belize City to check on things but am going next week and will fly into Cancun and drive down from there as it takes just over 3 hours and is much cheaper. When we make the real move we are using a 20 foot container that is going out of LA with a company there. He is Belizean and knows the ropes and will have it delivered to the house as part of the price. If you are just coming down for 6 months or a year to see what it is like I suggest bringing the bare minimum as that is all you will need. Renting a house ranges from $300-$500 a month and then decide if you really want to make the move.