NEED A TOURIST VISA FOR BRAZIL

Dear Friends,
                       My name is saurabh, i live in india, from city Haridwar, i have been in love with my girlfriend from last six years who is from brazil and is a brazilian. We want to marry each other and i have been planning to go to brazil and take her away from there to india along with me after first marrying with her only in her country and then after live only in india for the rest of our lives. I have only so few Questions regarding this.
i want to go there through a tourist visa, and then, in the period of visa i also want to get married with her there only in brazil first and either she comes along with me right away after my tourist visa expires or after within a year i will go back again there to pick her up(as we have planned)..
My question is only this that How i get a tourist visa for brazil, and then how i can i get married with her there in brazil?
what are most required documents i needed from both the sides, though, i have already got the invitation letter from her.. do i need some paper proofs from her side also, like her financial support for my stay along with her, her residential paper proof? and what kind of self-financial support i need to have to show at the embassy( how much sufficient amount must be there in my bank account?)
if at the first time i get married with her, would it be easy for me to go back again there next time within a year just in order to take her away along with me to get married here in india also?
Would i still be considered married in brazil with her, if i leave alone in just few days from there and come back to her after a year and next time what documents i will be needed again to go back to brazil.. would that only marriage certificate would be sufficient?
We want to live only in india and i don't intend to have any Brazil Visa Either.

Please, reply as fast as you get this message? please, help me i want to go there to her in just next 4 months only?

Hello saurabh91,

Regarding the process of getting married in Brazil and applying for your permanent visa afterwards see the following two topic threads, it's all clearly explained there:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=280525https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=403321

As far as getting a VITUR Tourist Visa to come to Brazil is concerned, if it will be your first ever visit to Brazil it is unlikely that you will be granted a visa that will allow you enough time in Brazil to go through the marriage process. The requirements for citizens of India, Pakistan and Bangladesh for obtaining visas are much stricter than for citizens of any other countries in the world. Generally they are only granted a "one-time-only" visa with a visit restricted to anywhere from one week to one month. Only following a successful visit to Brazil and returning home afterward would most be considered for a 5 year, multiple entry visa that permits a 90 day stay in Brazil. See the following topic thread for more on this subject:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=403321

To apply for the visa you should visit the website for the Consulado-Geral do Brasil either in Mumbai or New Delhi whichever has jurisdiction over the city where you live.

http://mumbai.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/http://novadelhi.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/

To be quite honest with you it is probably going to much easier for your girlfriend to obtain a visa to come to India and you two get married there. She could then register the marriage with the Consulado-Geral do Brasil and you could apply for permanency in Brazil through the Consulado.

Cheers,
James   Expat-blog Experts Team

I don't understand: If you want to live later in India, why your 6 years proxy love does not come to India and get married there ? I am going to trust you and I am going to think that you definitely do not want to obtain a brazilian visa. But then it means only one thing: your "girlfirend" is scamming you and would ask for money. And then, arriving in Brazil (if you enter), you will be taken in charge by a mafia network (possibly of indian origin) and you would have to get involved in unlawfull activities until you pay back the money (passage money or marrying money). It happens in all the world and it happen in Brazil indeed. My apologizes to be so direct but this is the reality of illegal immigration.

I tend to agree with Bardamu for several reasons.

http://msalx.viajeaqui.abril.com.br/2012/06/20/1658/5tY2z/jaipur-caminho-das-indias-joao-miguel-junior.jpg?1340230747
First of all Brazilians in general have a very fantasy filled vision of India and Indian citizens, which has been fostered by Brazilian soap operas called "novelas" here (Caminho das Indias),

For the most part these programs are totally unrelated to reality in any way. They have shown a very tiny portion of Indian society, only the ultra-wealthy. They completely ignore the fact that the greatest proportion of Indian society live in abject poverty far worse than that which exists in Brazil. Consequently most Brazilian women have the idea that all Indians are wealthy and by marrying one they'll be showered with gold and jewels for the rest of their lives. I've dealt with many cases where Indian citizens have come to Brazil, gotten married and when their wives have found out that the new husband isn't rich he's dumped like a hot rock, or dominated completely by the wife and her entire family with threats of being deported back to India.

If it truly is your future bride's intention to take up permanent residence in India as you claim, then I'm quite curious as to why she wouldn't just come over there in the first place. It really doesn't make any sense, you coming and going like a yo-yo, going through all the bureaucracy of getting married here in Brazil when it's much easier for her to marry you in India.

Very strange indeed. There's more to all this than meets the eye.

Cheers,
James

Thanks, Dear james.
i want to know more on this, but i am just coming around tomorrow again.

Bless you!

Oh, my!!
Dear Bardamu and James,
Whatever you said, it is because of i didn't tell you the whole thing.
Actually, we have planned to get married only in india by Hindu tradition only.. None of us Actually intend to get any Permanent Visa anywhere but it would just become a part of it when we will get married and we would just have to go through, we just only want to live together as husband and wife in india only and if we have decided to live only in india it is all because of my mother and for so many other good reasons also. If you think that why she doesn't come here in india and get married with me when it is so easier for both of us to get together, then, i tell you She thinks that she is a girl(Which of course she is :D ) and being a girl, she can not come all alone to india first time ever( and she is afraid of it as well and i think it very reasonable) and I being a groom, she wants me to take her away from there and there's also one more thing, she is not as much rich and she's been struggling only to keep at her side and for her three pets she is living along with and if first she wants me to come to her it is because of she wants me to meet her very little family first(her mother and sister) and confirm them that i do exist and i am no fraud one, i have been introduced and met her family too many times but only through the webcam and our intention to come there first in brazil it is only because of meeting her family in real. we both of us want to get married only next year till i complete get done with the construction of my home in india and my Job gets Permanent. This time i coming there is only for to get Engaged with her and to set with her family. If by now from last 6 years we haven't taken any initiative it was 'cause we both of us were studying and doing lot of struggle at our ends to make it all true. At the first she was very clear to me that She would never suppose her to in a country like India(when she she was about to move away to her Aunt in europe) where there is lots of Rush everywhere  due to very large Population and there's lots of Embarrassment to face only by struggling a lot to earn a very little money 'cause in india in most of the parts it is only Poverty to be found(By the way, now it is nothing like such anymore, we have changed in so many things). And she also knows that i am not any rich guy but only from a middle class family. It is all for LOVE only what we have decided to live only in india and she also thinks that a woman should live in her husband native place and if she also intend to marry by the Hindu tradition it is because she thinks that My mother and my people will believe that we got married only if we do it by the way My mother got married with my father.. That's all.

James, Now my only Inquiry is regarding to our marriage is:

Like you said, after getting married in india, we can register our marriage only in Embassy of brazil in india, it means Then we would obtain the marriage certificate only from there which would be valid in brazil also?
and I can simply apply for the Permanency of brazil only through the Embassy of brasil in inida. It is that i can obtain the Permanency of brazil only by living in india after getting married to her only in india or we would have to come back to brazil to obtain the same?
and one last question, my friend: If there she lives only in india for continuous more than 5 years and don't go back to her country, would it be any possibility that she would lose her citizenship of brazil sooner(though, she is a brazilian by birth).. that's my concern for her 'cause if something ever happens wrong to me or if i die , there she sure would suppose to go back to her country and that's what i will also want her to do 'cause she is intending to coming to india and to live in here only because of me and i never want her to face any trouble in india after me?

I feel your message very honest and also very naive about your understanding of Brazil. So I am really worry about my first thoughts: you're in hight risk to be scammed by this Brazilian woman. Personal relations in Brazil are not like in Indian and just marrying without knowing well a person does not happen here. Before marrying, people are living together and get to know each other very well (do I need to explain that in details?). So that this woman let you think that you could get married is is very surprising. Actually highly suspect.
FYI, people do not lose their nationality when moving to another country. And if they acquire a new nationality, they do not have to lose their old one; they just become binational. I know only one country which does not allow binationality: USA. Brazil accepts it but double check that India accepts it too.

Once you are married in India, your wife would then have to take your local Marriage Certificate to the Consulado-Geral do Brasil (Mumbai or New Delhi, whichever has jurisdiction over your city) and she will register the marriage there. She will need her Civil ID (RG) and passport, she will also need your documents. Once it is registered the Consulado issues an additional Certidão de Casamento, and then you can apply for permanency in Brazil based on marriage.

See the following topic:   https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=376293

@Bardamu

There are many countries around the world that do not allow dual citizenship. A Google search will give you a list.

Stumpy thks for the update you're right, it seems that actually authorizing bi-nationlity is less comon that I thought.

The things for which you have just warned me, i already had it all in my mind at the first year of our relationship even before we decided to get married and live in india finally, even before me to think about it she came to me with this things to concern for herself while she will live in india along with me, we both had the same concern on the same matter for ourselves. But then, we started to proof each other with so many things. And i am spending nothing to come to brazil, it is her who is arranging everything for me from my return tickets to the spending of my stay there and everywhere i go to see the places. But even after this, i already have in my mind to keep myself safe from all the sides when i go there at the first time ever, i have already thought what i will do in advance if i ever get into being scammed.
I am taking all this chance only for Love but there really might be the Risk of what you just said.
Since from the day we are together, there hardly were some days that she didn't send me any ISD message and did a call 15 minutes call 5 times a week, she sends me Message every morning at the time of waking up and at the time of Sleeping and i just do the same for her. Everyday we use to chat and watch each other 3 times a week.. there, we have even sent too many things and letters through post also just to make believe each other.
The things we have ever done and spent a lot for each other doesn't seem like that she is scamming me. She has even helped me a lot by financially  and now it's my turn to make her happy for the rest of her life and to make her life very worthful by my side 'cause i just love her.
My Heart and my mind says every time that she is always true to me and she is a true believer like me. That's all with what i believe in and trust in her. So, please, Dear Bardamu, Don't call her a Scamming woman :( . Though, i really understand that what's your meaning actually to make me see, and i really Thank you for that  :)  and also thanks for letting me Know that brazil Allows for the Dual Citizenship, it didn't come in my mind about this to check out but India Doesn't allow for the Dual Citizenship but there's an other thing for this here in India Something like Overseas Citizenship in India, i have to get to know about it.

Thanks to James Once again For Guiding me with the things i Asked for.
May Lord always bless you and your family.

OK. I can only say. Good luck.

Thanks!!

Hello James,
I really appreciate for your indirect and diplomatic answer for the above concern.....and my questions for you would as follows and I hope you would kindly answer.
1: Have you ever been to India or seen the culture of India irrespective of including other Asian countries like Pakistan and Bangladesh?, because India is very much different from thosecountries inrespective of culture and and in so many things then the loaded population.
2: And why you guys associating India along with Pakistan and bangladesh?
3: Have you gone trough the history of India and the changes we saw until today and how we work hardly for the money we get in any profession?
4: do you know how the Americas IT industry depends on us today and of couse whole world IT industry?
5: do you realised or know that we have the population and religions in our country equal to 6 Brazils or 4 USAs ? (Then do you think every Indian would be the same?)
7: and do you know that in every country in the world almost has the statute of " Mahatma Gandhi" including your Canada and USA and in Brazil?
8: do you know that we in India never have any other foreigners status in India because we already had enough inspiration in India and with our elders as we and our elders can be inspiration for whole other western world ? ....

So.....I request you that please keep this knowledge in mind before associating our country with any other countries and I would want to say that soon whole world going to look at us for the most interesting things we do and more for our great development .......
I hope you will patiently read my response and would analyze then would reply here .... and I every time and all the Times wanted to appreciate for the effort you showed in this blog to guide the right way....and more, I hope you will guide the right way only.

Thanks
Rajesh

Rajesh, You are directing your questions to the wrong people. The staff and members of Expat.com are here to help you. The rules and laws are not made by them. Don't get mad at the wrong people. The government of Brazil makes the Rules.

Hello Rajesh,

Generally one doesn't shoot the messenger simply because they don't like the message that came from someone else in the first place.

The postings regarding the treatment given to citizens from India, Pakistan and Bangladesh have nothing whatsoever to do with my own feelings, they simply reflect the reality of the way that they are treated by the Brazilian government in terms of obtaining any category of visa for this country.

If you had bothered to look at ANY of my topic postings on this subject you would have seen that I do not think that this treatment is fair. However, it is the way things are and it is also permitted under international law.

If you had bothered to read any of the other topics posted by your countrymen you'd see just how many of them have only managed to come to Brazil as a result of my assistance. I have no connection with the Brazilian government whatsoever, my statements reflect the attitude of Brazilian immigrations officials, NOT my own personal views.

Read the following topic thread and perhaps you'll have a clearer understanding of what I'm talking about.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=201090

I really think that an apology is in order here.

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Tea

Hi everyone,

Please calm down here, small fights do not help anyone. ;)
Let's forget about this problem and try to help the member saurabh91.

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers:

Hi All,

I have few questions and i will whole Heartedly thank in advance to all those who would answer my question below

I am in love with Brazilian lady and i am planning to visit Brazil on tourist visa and get married to her.

1) But as per the above blog info Indian citizens are give a visa only for a period of 2 weeks to one month period and if that is the case with me then is it possible to overstay and get married and get the documents validated and get the permanent status. Or please advise what needs to be done.

2) In the past i had business visa for 1 year to USA. I have traveled USA on business trip for one month and i was back to India on time with out overstay or any other obligation, Will this be considered as good travel history record  and can be granted a longer period visa to brazil.

3) I am single and my passport also say that i am single , Still do i have to get the single status legalized in India and also in Brazilian consulate in India.

4) should Invitation letter and sponsorship letter registered(Stamped by Notary) in Brazil, In order for me to produce in Brazilian Embassy

Please help me answering these questions.

Regards

Raj

Hello Raj,

I'll try and answer your questions as best I can and in the order you have asked them.

1.  The marriage process here takes at minimum one month to get through, the first part is asking for permission to marry "habilitação de casamento" at the Cartório. They must publish the marriage banns in Official Gazette of the Union (DOU) for 30 days, then permission is granted if nobody shows up to object. Your visa must be valid and within the valid period of your stay when you apply for marriage at the Cartório. So that means you've got to have ALL of the documents required for marriage and they must all be in perfect order. Then you must apply immediately upon arrival or you're going to have problems, and may not have time to get through the whole process in time. Chances are that if your visa was valid at the time you apply the Cartório is not going to ask to see it again on your wedding day. But if they do, and you've overstayed it is possible they won't perform the marriage, so that's rather risky.

The only way around that is during the validity of your visa stay, you and your intended bride go to the Cartório and apply for "Casamento por Procuração" (a Proxy Marriage). This would allow the marriage to go ahead without you present. You appoint someone to stand in for you at the ceremony and they are authorized to sign all the marriage documents on your behalf. Once legally married you then can apply for permanency regardless of whether you've overstayed your visa or not.

2.  The USA is the USA and Brazil is Brazil. Just as the US Customs and Immigrations Service wouldn't consider a successful visit to Brazil and returning home as a "good travel history", the Brazilian Federal Police aren't going to either. They don't frankly care about it. The Consulate visa issuing officer will use his/her own criteria to determine whether or not you'll be granted a visa, and how long of a visa stay they will allow. It is really going to be just a roll of the dice.

3.  You should ask the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in India if they'll accept your passport which states that you're single, and also have your future bride ask at the Cartório if they will accept it. My instinct is that the Cartório won't, they'll want some document from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in India stating that you're single, it must be stamped by them and also legalized by the Consulado.

Just so it doesn't come as a complete surprise to you when you go to the Consulado, the visa issuing officer is probably going to be less likely to issue a visa to you because you are single. The reason for this is that the "yardstick" that they use to measure whether or not to gant you a visa is your ability to show STRONG TIES to your homeland (India). That means financial ties, family ties and secure long-term employment. You would be given more "points" for being married in India, since that would tend to indicate clearly that you have strong reasons to return. Owning property, having close family ties, a steady well-paid job, bank account, etc., are all things that would prove your strong ties and go in your favor for obtaining the visa. Being single (for visa purposes) actually goes against you in most countries.

4. Yes, the Invitation Letter must be notarized here in Brazil. It must also indicate clearly the fact that the "sponsor" will accept full financial responsibility for you during your whole stay in Brazil. It should indicate that they are providing your accommodations, if you're going to stay with them, and that they will be responsible to see to it that you actually leave Brazil when your visa expires.

Not on your list of questions, but important for you to know is that upon arrival in Brazil you must produce a return ticket to India or at the very minimum an outbound ticket to some other country which you have a visa to enter, or can enter without a visa under the Visa Waiver Program.

Hope this helps you.

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

Thank you so so so much for that elaborate explanation .. this is the best answer i have ever got on any blog... thank you so much .... you have been a great help to me today..
May god be with you always.

Regards

Raj

You are quite welcome. That's exactly why I have volunteered for this job, to help people who really need it.

Women in brazil aren't like european/north american, they are over protected by their families and fearful and brainwashed, and to go that far away from home,  their men will end coming instead.

hi sir my name is nandu i'm from india  i'm in love with brazilian women she wants me to come brazil from india so please help me how to go from brazil to india what are the documents requried tell me the procedure  tell me about  proxy marriage sir thanks for your reply sir i'm following you and reading all your messages from past 2 years  you are giving good suggestions you are helping a lot of people hatsoff sir

Well if you've been reading my postings you will already know that it is almost impossible for citizens of India, Pakistan or Bangladesh to obrain a VITUR Tourist Visa that will allow a long enough stay to get through the marriage process which takes 30 - 45 days. First time visas are usually single use only, with stays anywhere from a week to one month. Generally a 5 year, multiple entry VITUR Tourist Visa would only be considered following one successful visit to Brazil and returning home. But, you can try if you want.

My advice has always been the same... If you are from India, Pakistan or Bangladesh and you want to marry a Brazilian, it is going to be much easier to have the Brazilian fiancee come to your country, get married there and then register the marriage at the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in your country. Then you can apply for a VIPER Permanent Visa based on marriage there.

Cheers,
James         Expat-blog Experts Team

Is there no chance to marry her in brazil .Because she wants me to come  Brazil to marry her I too want to marry her in Brazil so tell me sir how to go travel to brazil what are the documents i have carry with me

The only chance is that you get a VITUR Tourist Visa that will allow you a 90 day visit, which is almost unheard of on a very first visa application by citizens of India, Pakistan or Bangladesh. You can try, but I wouldn't expect to get that lucky if I were you. Then you have gone through all the time, trouble and cost of applying for a visa that isn't going to help you at all if you don't get a 90 day stay.

It takes anywhere from 30 - 45 days from submitting the paperwork to the Cartório to get through the marriage process.

If you dont mind can i have your skype id to talk with you clearly

for indians to get a tourist visa is a very difficult task. almost impossible...

I know I've come to this thread a little late and that it hasn't been active for awhile, but there may still be people looking at it for answers to questions.

Our late friend James mistakenly said that a visitor's visa has to be valid in order to get married here. Maybe he meant only Indians. I'm American and have been here for 5 years. On a tourist visa. That expired December 18, 2012. We were married April; 17th of this year. We're going to the Policia Federal tomorrow morning to hop on the second step of my permanent residence status stairway.

We went to the cartorio here after getting my birth certificate and divorce decree (both apostilled by the State of California) translated by a "sworn translator" and filed and paid the required fees for a marriage. We were given a wedding date of approximately 21 days later.

Also, the laws have changed since this thread was very active. Foreign documents are no longer required to be authenticated or approved at a Brazilian Consulate overseas for use here in Brazil. They have to be apostilled now, if your country is signatory to the Apostille Treaty of 1996. See if your country is signatory here:
https://www.hcch.net/en/instruments/con … le/?cid=41

For American/US citizens, you have to go to your state's Secretary of State's office for the apostille.