Is a PhD needed to practice law in Malta?

I've noticed nearly all lawyers and even notaires in Malta are called Dr. xyz...

Can someone shed some light please?

Google is your friend...

Malta

Malta's legal practice is fused and legal practice is regulated by the Chamber of Advocates. Licence to practice law is granted by way of a warrant issued on completion of the Doctorate of Laws (LLD) programme from Malta University (or a comparable international programme) and an admission exam in English and Maltese. Lawyers holding rights to practice in other jurisdictions can apply for an exemption from local practice prohibitions allowing them to offer services under their foreign title though permission is issued by discretion and requires three years local legal practice and a comparable licence elsewhere.

No, a PhD is not needed to practice law. It is an honorary title.

That surprises me Tearnet...I have a feeling that they haven't all gone back to do a PhD?! They all seem to call themselves doctors?

It seems the educational requirements to practice law in Malta are higher:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_law#Malta

Thanks all.

Yes, it seems Notary's do need a doctorate and is the only way to become a Notary after an additional 3 years post graduate! I had thought they were like dentists in the way they can call themselves Dr's.