Moving to ohio

Hi everyone,

New to the forum but looking for advice.

I've never lived in America and my American husband moved to the UK when he was 4 (he's now 34) we have 4 boys aged 11,9,5 & 1. Jez dad and sister both live in Cleveland but his mum lives here in the UK.

Financially we think we would be about the same so it really it comes down to quality of life we could offer our children and work opportunities for my husband.
He currently works as a civil engineer with a HNC qualification. We believe  this qualification isn't recognised in USA but he also has 13 years experience and has recently been promoted to acting project manager for a 2 year scheme at work.

Any advice or experience that could help us would be gratefully received

Thanks for reading
Tori x

I was born in Ohio and couldn't wait to get out as a teenager. I've lived in California, Washington State, Tokyo Japan, India and China. Reluctantly returned in Ohio to care for a dying parent. Got stuck with the house just as the economy crashed. Ohio was depressed before the economic crash. Now lots of empty stores turned into full-time flea markets and families struggling to make ends meet selling their stuff.

I see more and more bumper stickers on cars --  "Stuck in Ohio". Ha, ha. Not funny. Once here it's hard to get out. Why? No one wants to buy a house here. Every other house is for sale and no buyers. It was that way before the crash and even worse now. Don't move to Ohio.  I don't know if there are more standard jokes about Cleveland, Columbus, or Toledo Ohio. It's one of the worst parts of the USA. Many who are stuck living here are embarrassed and ashamed that they live here.

But then I guess it's all about your state of mind. You can be happy anywhere. As an expatriate you won't have the stigma associated with living in Ohio unless you stay for decades, perhaps.

MarieKaz wrote:

I was born in Ohio and couldn't wait to get out as a teenager. I've lived in California, Washington State, Tokyo Japan, India and China. Reluctantly returned in Ohio to care for a dying parent. Got stuck with the house just as the economy crashed. Ohio was depressed before the economic crash. Now lots of empty stores turned into full-time flea markets and families struggling to make ends meet selling their stuff.

I see more and more bumper stickers on cars --  "Stuck in Ohio". Ha, ha. Not funny. Once here it's hard to get out. Why? No one wants to buy a house here. Every other house is for sale and no buyers. It was that way before the crash and even worse now. Don't move to Ohio.  I don't know if there are more standard jokes about Cleveland, Columbus, or Toledo Ohio. It's one of the worst parts of the USA. Many who are stuck living here are embarrassed and ashamed that they live here.

But then I guess it's all about your state of mind. You can be happy anywhere. As an expatriate you won't have the stigma associated with living in Ohio unless you stay for decades, perhaps.

Funny thing, your governor claims he has done a wonderful job there, might be because he might be running for president.

tori.dufour wrote:

Hi everyone,

New to the forum but looking for advice.

I've never lived in America and my American husband moved to the UK when he was 4 (he's now 34) we have 4 boys aged 11,9,5 & 1. Jez dad and sister both live in Cleveland but his mum lives here in the UK.

Financially we think we would be about the same so it really it comes down to quality of life we could offer our children and work opportunities for my husband.
He currently works as a civil engineer with a HNC qualification. We believe  this qualification isn't recognised in USA but he also has 13 years experience and has recently been promoted to acting project manager for a 2 year scheme at work.

Any advice or experience that could help us would be gratefully received

Thanks for reading
Tori x

You are probably better off in the UK, could be like starting over at the mistake by the lake.
At least the kids would get to experience snow and frostbite.

Do politicians tell the truth in the UK? Would you expect a governor or any politician to admit to doing a bad job?

Cleveland is in the snow belt. Have you checked the weather lately. I'm not  even in the snow belt and I'm snowed in right now.

Wow lots of strong opinions about Ohio 😃 to be honest we looked here just because of family and that is the major deciding factor........ Of course I would rather be somewhere like Florida with Mickey mouse as my neighbour 😂

tori.dufour wrote:

Wow lots of strong opinions about Ohio 😃 to be honest we looked here just because of family and that is the major deciding factor........ Of course I would rather be somewhere like Florida with Mickey mouse as my neighbour 😂

Live next to Disney World?  Further research is required

It was meant as a joke hence the smiles

Go to Columbus, OH. It's cheaper and affordable in terms of the standard of living.

SOUL7 wrote:

Go to Columbus, OH. It's cheaper and affordable in terms of the standard of living.

And home of Ohio State and a professional hockey team