Bachata, Merengue, or Perico Ripiao?

All these Dominican music genres are awesome and it certainly change your mood...

Don't forget the salsa too...... Yes each is different!!!

Salsa is Cuban and the Boricuas made it their own, but got to tell you nothing compares to a Merengue from Sergio Vargas o Fernandito Villalona.

So what,  there are Dominican salsa writers, singers and  musicians!!!!   I love my salsa here.............I also love Cuban salsa,  Puerto Rican etc etc.   No one country  has it all honey.

YES  I like both Sergio and Fernando,  they are awesome merengueros - classic not  like some of the new ones.

Viva salsa!

I agree,  its my favourite......

Time for a blend of Dominican with Mexican?: Los Éxitos de Joan Sebastian en Bachata , not sure what to call this...

That Mexican music isn't  played much here,  not really liked,

We have listened to Dominican radio playing music on the graveyard shift (Mountain time zone listening to Atlantic time zone radio).  The music played is different from daytime,   a genre for night music  ?

Nahhhhhh they like what they like.  Is it different at night?  Really who cares.... .those listening at night here are out dancing somewhere.....and I guarantee its not Mexican music.....

Dancing all night is great in urban areas and likely also includes Latin Pop, and Reggaeton, but not in rural/campo areas where farmers and fishermen are up before dawn - many sides to life in the DR.

There is not really one Mexican music,  it comes in many flavours; grupero, ranchera, mariachi, marimba, romantic, etc.   

Ted

Dancing is a HUGE part of the culture here EVERYWHERE!!!!  Latin pop and reggaeton are for the young people.  Merengue is everywhere,  bachata is almost everywhere and salsa is mainly the large cities but spreading. 

Most mexican music is not played here - no matter what kind it is. Dominicans like there own music really.  This is not a big deal,   I have spent hours and hours and hours over  11 1/2 years dancing here. I cannot count the number of places I have been in all over this country!  I can count on  my 2 hands the number of times I have heard any Mexican music! 

Now back to Merengue Bachata and Salsa........

So they won't look at us funny in the grocery store when we start dancing?

No if the music is loud enough (I think they all must be deaf by the age of 30) they will probably join you in dancing in the isles. :D:D:D:D

Bob K

I remember  dancing in the grocery store on more then one occasion  in Puerto Plata at  Jose Luis grocery store. I also  danced in the streets in Sosua, we simply stopped traffic in all directions as the local colmado was playing our favorite salsa.......

Dancing - is cultural and encouraged, anywhere anytime.....LOL

That's great to hear!  We dance just about anywhere if there is music, so long as the beat is 1,2  1,2  1,2.  (Bill has no rhythm and I've forgotten how ) Even when some young man is driving by with subwoofers hanging out the windows deafening passers by, we're dancing!

Good for you,  its good for the body and the soul.....

Have to wonder why some Dominicanos introduced me to slow dancing with the music and songs by the likes of Julio Jaramillo (Equador), Jose Jose (Mexico) and scratchy recordings of Jose Manuel Calderon (DR - a forefather of bachata, there is an interesting bio on wiki).

I find sometimes the soul likes baladas with poetic lyrics.

Ok whatever you clearly know more then the rest of us ..................bloody hell.