Trip to Puerto Rico. Freaking out!

Hey everyone! You are my last hope. So me and my friend decided to take 10 days trip to Puerto Rico. I wasnr on vacation for a while so I've got really excited about it. I've checked couple websites before and found out that you can travel with ID only. But since I started reading some posts on trip advisor I realized that it might be some check ups at the airport. And since my friend is having some (lots) of troubles with her papers and documents we are freaking out right now. All she has is DL. Ticket is not refundable. Sweet excitement is gone! I need your help from everybody who ever travel to PR! What are the chances that you'll get checked up for citenship and should we take a risk?

Google is your friend, check it out online.

I found that you can enter from USA without a passport but on rare occasion you may get asked for proof of citizenship, like passport or green card.
When entering you must be returning to USA and not onward to another destination.

Yes I read bunch of forums but the problem is that my friend overstayed her visa.. So all she has is DL

Amyleeks wrote:

Yes I read bunch of forums but the problem is that my friend overstayed her visa.. So all she has is DL

I can see this being a problem then. Can you contact immigration authorities about this ??

Hello Amyleeks,

Your message is now on the Puerto Rico forum for a better interaction. ;)

Shaazia
Expat.com Team

Have your friend check her driver's license. Is there any mention of her immigration status on the DL?

On my PR license it says that I'm a permanent resident so when I used it when traveling within the US they would always ask for my green card.

If there's nothing about her immigration status on the DL she could risk it. They never asked my wife who's a US citizen anything when she used her DL for traveling to and from PR.
I just checked her license and it says that she's a citizen. :)

R u coming from the states? No passport needed if from US....

sharonlynn913 wrote:

R u coming from the states? No passport needed if from US....

The problem here seems to be that the friend of the original poster is an practically an illegal immigrant because of visa overstay.