China Visa for long term / residency

Good evening everyone

I would like to know more information regarding obtaining a visa for long term residency (2-5 years) in China.
My plans are to rent a property and purchase after about 1 year.

China has so much for me to explore and I want to know if its possible to obtain such a long period visa.

If i have to invest in a business or purchase a property immediately in order to obtain a visa like in some countries that may be an option.

Thanks!

I believe that you need a reason in order to reside in China. Owning property is not enough. Check out a Chinese consulate consulate website to see the types of visa required to stay beyond a 30 day L tourist visa. There aren't residency visas. If one is employed in China, he will be granted a residency permit for the length of his contract.

Thanks for your reply, that's China off the cards then! I will have to look for a more accommodating country.

Thanks.

I got a 2 year residence permit. I am married to Chinese national. It was a process but not too bad. After 5 years I can apply for permanent resident. You will need to get a physical and have a Chinese address. Go down to the VISA office and they will give you a form and walk you through it. They have a section for foreign visitors in the VISA office.