Puerto Rico here we come!

Well we are headed to PR in April.... I can't wait! My husband and I are moving at first to see how we actually like living there. We are giving ourselves 3-6 months to find a house, learn the island area where we want to be (Mayaguez, Rincon, Las Marias, Lares, anywhere in those areas). We will have my 4 four legged heart with us, which is making me crazy worrying about if he's going to be ok on a plane to get there... still trying to decide how thats going to work.

If the dog is less 5han 25lbs, it can go in carry on... I've flown several times, with my Jack Russell Terrier. Generally speaking, Airbus planes cannot accommodate carry on pets (seats are too low to place dogs under them). If it's a large dog, they put into the luggage area.

How exciting!  I'm envious as we can't go full time just yet.  We were scouting out possibilities for us over the last couple of weeks.  Good luck!

United is by far the best airline for shipping pets (because it merged with/bought out Continental). If you have to ship your dog, look at my prior threads and you'll see how I describe the process as well as the pick-up location, which is a bit tricky!

The dog should be fine. It's not too hot yet in April. All you need are up to date shots and boosters and a general health certificate from your Vet signed within 10 days of your flight. Check the airline's website for full details on travel requirements for pets. But be warned, most airlines that transport pets will not allow them to fly if the temperature is expected to exceed a certain amount at any point in your flight. To get around that you can take a night flight. There is one that has a climate controlled environment and can fly even when it's hot. I think that is United. The problem comes in if the dog has to sit on the tarmac in the crate for any length of time in the heat.