Is Chagas disease something you are concerned about?

In preparation for our move, I've checked the WHO website for vaccination recommendations and such, and came across an article about Chagas. It sounds scary! Has anyone had any experience with it? I'm curious as to what the odds of getting it are, even with prevention, they made it seem like you will get it not matter what you do.

I don't live in Ecuador, but when were were there traveling the coastal areas, yes Chagas, dengue, and malaria were a dark concern in the back of my head.

I don't worry about contagious diseases so much as I seem to have an ironclad immune system, but parasites really freak me out.

I can only caution you to never ever watch the series 'Monsters Inside Me' on Animal Planet. You'll never leave your house again.

Chagas is spread by the so-called "kissing bug," a blood-sucking parasite.

According to the World Health Organization, it disproportionally affects people living in poor areas of the tropics, typically places without decent access to health care.

Its symptoms include fever and body aches, and swelling of the eyelids and the area of the bug's bite(s).  Scratching the bite enables the secretion to enter the bloodstream. 

Chagas is not spread by normal human contact.

Millions of people, especially in Central and South America, have been affected.  12,500 died in 2006 from this disease.

Anti-parisitic treatment in the form of specific drugs has been effective in most of the cases where treatment has been sought timely. 

The disease has been known to exist for over 100 years.

sources:  World Health Organization, Wikipedia, Ohio University

cccmedia wrote:

Chagas is spread by the so-called "kissing bug," a blood-sucking parasite.

According to the World Health Organization, it disproportionally affects people living in poor areas of the tropics, typically places without decent access to health care.

Its symptoms include fever and body aches, and swelling of the eyelids and the area of the bug's bite(s).  Scratching the bite enables the secretion to enter the bloodstream. 

Chagas is not spread by normal human contact.

Millions of people, especially in Central and South America, have been affected.  12,500 died in 2006 from this disease.

Anti-parisitic treatment in the form of specific drugs has been effective in most of the cases where treatment has been sought. 

The disease has been known to exist for over 100 years.

sources:  World Health Organization, Wikipedia, Ohio University

It also can spread through contaminated food, right? I understand Cuenca is very developed, but I was wondering if there have been any warnings about food contamination, and if so, where I could find that information? I also wondered if anyone had any personal stories about treatment or care received from a bite. I'm sure that by using pesticides and nets we'll be fine, but I'm pretty sure you guys can tell by now I'm a natural worry wart! I am already anticipating being ill from the transition to Ecuador. After arriving in Japan, we were all sick for about a month!

pinkcookie wrote:

I'm pretty sure you guys can tell by now I'm a natural worry wart! I am already anticipating being ill from the transition to Ecuador.

Sounds like you need a plan, 'Cookie. :unsure   

Consider this one....

1. Research this disease on the Internet for up to the next 24 hours, and learn as much as you can, or as much as feels right.

2. Decide -- with your husband, if he's available -- how your family would prepare for optimal health in Ecuador based on what you know to this point.  Write down your plan.

3. Get to the point where you know you have done all you can reasonably do before you travel to Ecuador, and move on to something else.

4. If you're concerned about this when you get to Cuenca, visit a health facility or a doctor who can advise you personally.

5. Consider avoiding areas where the disease is most common for your first months in Ecuador.

6. Enjoy your new life in Ecuador. :)

cccmedia in Quito

cccmedia, you are the best! I appreciate your advice and input. I'm waiting to find out from my insurance company what doctors are available to me, but after I do I think that is a fantastic idea.

pinkcookie wrote:

cccmedia, you are the best!

.                                                :)

In my opinion the biggest health threat in any underdeveloped country no matter what the climate is Hepatitis A. It is easily spread through the food chain and very easy to catch.

After just a few weeks in my first 'develping country' and seeing the common lack of sanitation and dismal food handling practices, I went running for the nearest hepatitis A vaccination. It's actually a 2 shot series but lasts a lifetime.

At that time the complete Hep A,B,C shot wasn't available to me but if it had been I'd have gone for it.

Now I eat any kind of questionable street food without (much) worry.

gardener1 wrote:

In my opinion the biggest health threat in any underdeveloped country no matter what the climate is Hepatitis A. It is easily spread through the food chain and very easy to catch.

After just a few weeks in my first 'develping country' and seeing the common lack of sanitation and dismal food handling practices, I went running for the nearest hepatitis A vaccination. It's actually a 2 shot series but lasts a lifetime.

At that time the complete Hep A,B,C shot wasn't available to me but if it had been I'd have gone for it.

Now I eat any kind of questionable street food without (much) worry.

Good to know! Thankfully, we've all already had our Hep shots. :)