Kenyans in Eindhoven?

hey

are there any kenyans living in Eindhoven, i have been here for a month now and i totally love Netherlands...iits fun being here and learning the language(hopefully i will pass my inburgering exam)if there are any Kenyans out there holla!!

Hi Jerrie!
Welcome on Expat-blog Jerrie! :) I hope you get lots of replies soon.

You might check the Kenyan expatriates in the Netherlands network for more contacts.

All the best,
Christine

we are all here hahaha!! but mostly i can say most kenyans are in amsterdam and denhaag, succes met jouw inmburgering cursus.

gr Teddy

Hi,
how are you doing? I was in Eindehoven a month ago. lovely place
Actually, i would kindly like to find out if you did the Civic Exam here in Kenya. I am planning to do it and have studied for long but still dreading to sit for the exam.
Also, legalization, how long did it take and is it really that a document has to be less than 6 months?
Finally how long does the entire process of MVV application take?I hope to be there during summer.
I will highly appreciate your response.
regards

Hi Celiessie,

Welcome on board to this site.
Regarding to legalizations and applications for MVV I strongly advise you to read the sticky topic New to Holland.
This could help you a lot.

Hi Celiessie,

I have just seen my post which i did 3 years ago when i came to NL for the first time.
Anyway to answer your queries, is shall do it point by point;

1. i would kindly like to find out if you did the Civic Exam here in Kenya. I am planning to do it and have studied for long but still dreading to sit for the exam

YES, i did the civic exams in kenya. it is perfectly normal to worry about failing the exam BUT when you are in that room, it will be a piece of cake. the key is relaxation and a keen ear,.......thats how i did it and passed it the first time.I am not sure how it is now as i heard that they changed it and its a bit difficult now...all in all i am sure since you have studied, you will be able to get the necessary points needed for the MVV.

2. Also, legalization, how long did it take and is it really that a document has to be less than 6 months?\
With legalization you will need a birth certificate and in case of marriage you will also need to bring an impediment to no marriage certificate which you should aquire from Sheria House. We are used to having our old birth certs and i was also shocked when i was asked for a certificate that is no more than 6months old which means i had to go to the Registraar of Births whih has their offices in Upper Hill road. Make sure you take your ID, Copy of your Birth Cert and the original with you. If your records are there then it will be your lucky day, BUT if its not then it will be a whole new process of you tracking your records through your birth place which can take a week depending on how far and how fast they work(you will personally have to follow up to get your birth cert)
Legalization at the embassy takes a day...its just a stamp they put on it.

3. Finally how long does the entire process of MVV application take?

The MVV process differs with everyone. its generally between 2-9mths depending on how the process goes and if all necessary documents are presented. Mine took only 2 months so i am hoping yours will too.

i have answered your questions to the best of my knowledge. please do not hesitate to enquire if you need any more info. Sucess met jouw integratie examen....komt goed!

Jerrie

Wow!
Actually i had not noticed the post is 3 years old
Thanks!. these questions have been giving me a hard time, especially with legalization. Fortunately i had re-applied for new certificate(its for my kid). and also on their site they say legalization takes several months. hope it didn't change after since your time.

Yes the exam was changed after 2011, one needs to get a higher score in the repeating sentenses section, which is still my worst section. I think i will try to be more optimistic :) 

The MVV currently they say that maximum 3 months on IND website. hope that's the case for real, and i can finish before summer.
I will keep in touch!

i see alot has changed. If its for your child then i believe it will go through fast. Don't worry all will be well. Just concentrate more on the exam and i am 100% sure you will pass. i did a self study for the exam for only 3mths and went back to kenya and did the exam and passed the first time. so i am sure it will be ok with you too.

All the best and i hope to hear from you soon on how it went.

cheers!

Hai Jerry,

Thank you for your informative piece. I am scheduled to come to amsterdam in August 2014 to do a masters at a school in amsterdam. It is complicated because i plan to come with my 3 year daughter and husband. The school will apply for our  visa and MVV on our behalf so am lucky in that sense although they said the birth and marriage certificate has to be certified-not sure if it needs to be legalised. my dilema is getting an engilsh daycare for my kid( the international ones are super expe) and hubby getting a job. ooh housing is another handle given that the student housing cannot cater for  a family. i appreciate any leads to solve these issues.

fridah

Hi Fridah,

Thats great the you will be coming over with your family.  I am also not really sure if your Marriage certs need to be legalised. I think its best you contact the NL embassy in Nairobi for this information. But if they mentioned that both the marriage and birth cert needs to be certified then i believe they also need to be legalized.  As for housing, i am sure there is a way around it.Once you get here you can find as much information as possible through through the gemeentehuis so as to see the possible options for finding a suitable house for you. This is a link i have found via the Gemeente Amsterdam site. I am sure you can find some info here. http://www.amsterdam.nl/wonen-leefomgeving/wonen/ . I believe in your case you would be looking for Zelfstandige huurwoning voor studenten. I am hoping you can find one which can be subsidised so as to reduce a lot of costs on your part. I do not have any idea of the MVV you are getting allows your husband to work or now but i believe if he can work it would certainly make things alot easier for both of you.As for finding jobs, there are alot of uitzendbureaus(job agencies), it just depends on his profession and if the jobs are available...but since i came here i learnt from humble beginnings, i did cleaning jobs, dishwashing and even working in warehouses. At the end of the day, it was me getting my money but at the end you develop by increasing your language skills and also experience and finally get to your goal. As for the the daycare, just use the normal one. Alot of people in Amsterdam speak english, and it would be much easier if you took your child to the normal one where he/she will be able to integrate and mingle better with the kids. Kids learn new languages twice as fast as adults, it would be nice if at least you child feels good and free to socialize with other children.

Jerry- you are the best!!

Hi Jerrie,
How have you been? Didn't inform you yet on my experience.
I did my exam in Kenya, and passed.!! I applied for my visa, and in 2 months it was approved and I was able to travel to NL in early November. I am almost 2 months now here, and besides the cold, everything else ok.
I am living near Utrecht.
Hope to chat sometimes.
cheers>>>>
Esther

Hi👋. I'm planning to move to Eindhoven in feb