An inspiring story...

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31097612

Excellent stuff.
A man goes after his passion, even in the face of hardships most of us would give up because, and gets his dream.

Good luck to him.

Per Ardua Ad Astra!  :) I hope he eventually gets to fly it. So far the authorities in Juba have refused Mel permission to test-fly his ultra-light, restricting him to taxi-ing the aircraft in his yard.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new
(Albert Einstein)

Do you think NASA gets it right first time, every time? even with the vast budget available to them; with access to expertise and all material they need without any restrictions!!!
Do you think every kid in the UK or the USA can get this far?

It's for attitudes like above that I sometimes highlight similar stories.

A young BLACK man from AFRICA, from a Third World country that only came to existence a few years ago, without even finishing his high school, without any money or any form of support, during a bloody war on his doorstep, while working to support his family and without any external help manages to get this far!!! All of us including NASA can learn from this young man's endeavours.

Yes, he hasn't yet been given a permit to fly his microlight airplane. That's normal as getting First Flight Clearance is a very lengthy and formal process. He has however managed to taxi his airplane on the ground which suggests to me he's got something right. His airframe can take the force of the engines and the engines can produce enough thrust to propel the plane on the ground. I look at this as an achievement because of my own involvements in this area.

It seems as ever it's easier to knock other people down. He is only 22 and he has hopes and ambitions. He displays resolve, determination as well as humility. I wish him every success though I am sure he doesn't need it: he has all he needs.

It seems that we all can learn from him. He can inspire all of us. It should have been a reminder to some of us, if we can't remember that far back, what it means to be young: full of hope and aspirations.

To show there is no hurt feelings, here is a reminder of those days! :)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEG3iv0YKsw

young BLACK man

He's black - WOW!
I'm unable to understand why his skin colour is important in any way.
I admire him for his determination.

You're not in Malta to understand the undercurrents Fred.

What relevance has this to life on Malta and the function of this board?
Fred does have a point though as this man's skin colour is irrelevant living where he does, where he is in the majority.
I don't know what's happening here lately but some pretty irrelevant and attention seeking postings have cropped up not to mention misunderstood responses to other's comments. My initial response here was actually, a positive one.

As to Malta - someone who lives there liked the story.
Seems fair.

There is a clue at the top of the 'Blog' It says-

Expat.com
XXXXX 'Share your expat experience!' XXXXX

It does not say post about unrelated BBC News items, or in the case of one new member last week giving advice when they have not even moved here and have spent a grand total of 5 days visiting Malta, or simply posting adverts!

F0xgl0ve wrote:

There is a clue at the top of the 'Blog' It says-

Expat.com
XXXXX 'Share your expat experience!' XXXXX

It does not say post about unrelated BBC News items,!

Point taken as you lead by exmaple. Your post is relevant to the website and its motto.

I don't think the forum will be destroyed by a member posting a thread about someone they admire.
Perhaps the less than happy posters could report the OP, requesting the thread be moved to cafe, just in case the universe collapses.

Nothing happening on your own board again Fred?
Bored again Fred?
Sad.

I'm so sorry for seeing a thread, admiring the man's work, and commenting.

Careful Fred , you're up against the " Malta Mafia " !!!!!! - bunch of REALLY sad people with far too much time on their hands !!!!!!😩

Moyes14 wrote:

Careful Fred , you're up against the " Malta Mafia " !!!!!! - bunch of REALLY sad people with far too much time on their hands !!!!!!😩

From one of your earlier posts...........

" if you haven't got anything sensible to say , often better to not say anything at all " !!!!!!😳

Pity you don't follow your own advice!!

What is going on here?
There seems to be some sort of battle going on in this section.
If a poster disagrees with a thread (for whatever reason), use the report button and the team will decide the best course of action.

If people think this is better in expat cafe, report the OP and suggest it.
In my opinion, it probably is, but it's hardly going to destroy Malta if it stays here.
Of course, the OP might very well have a reason for putting it in this section that I'm unaware of.

Yawn !!!!😴😴😴

Consider this.
In usual polite social circles if people are talking and a complete stranger, not known to anyone and not related to any of them or even living in the same place and /or has nothing to do with the conversation suddenly butts in, without offering any form of introduction and giving their critical opinion, then offence is taken.
Compare that scenario with someone living far away, with no connection to Malta, no experience of Malta and thus nothing to contribute to the function of this forum butts in.
Another scenario, people playing their own game, in their own way and suddenly a complete stranger barges in, again with no introduction and starts to tell them the 'rules'. I wonder what the reaction would be then?

And I ask again; what relevance has all of this to life on Malta and the function of this board?

Moyes14 wrote:

bunch of REALLY sad people with far too much time on their hands !!!!!!😩

:lol::lol::lol:

Had to laugh; and you spent your time posting that.
Followed by another; with just an emoticon?

Pot, kettle, black comes to mind.

Double yawn !!!!😴

Hello everyone,

As it is written in our code of conduct > members should respect the initial subject of a thread. So, everyone can comment on the topic and give their views as long as our terms and conditions are respected.

Regarding this topic, if you think that this should be moved on the Expat Cafe forum because nothing related to the Malta life, please let us know. We will then remove it from here or leave it here.

@New Horizonz > you can pm me and thank you for this sharing ;)

Christine

Thank you for your message New Horizonz. Your topic is now on the Expat Cafe forum.

Meet expats all over the world

OR