Crime

The excessive noise pollution is part of "acclimating" to the country. At the beginning it was a nuisance. Now I don't even hear it. Even when I hear the noise I am not really hearing it if you know what I mean. If I'm in a club where my bones are vibrating then I leave. It is what it is and you have to be Buddhist about it so it doesn't bother you :)

As far as the electricity goes my area goes out most of the time. But it doesn't affect me at all since I have an inverter and rack of batteries :) The good thing is at night there are no EMF's bombarding you because there is no AC power!! This might be a plus and people don't even know it :)

@planner
>Not only do the confiscate the equipment they are often destroying it!   Which makes me think they are getting a >commission from the equipment vendors....

Well everything is possible in DR :-)

can I invite them to do some destroying around here? :-)

and perhaps I can borrow one of their snipers, to take potshots at any noisy motorbikes going past that exceed the noise limit -yes I like that idea :-)

I am skipping that plus -  I use my a/c when it gets hot at night!   

Noise - yes you do get used to it to a certain extent. I tell people when looking for a place to rent or to buy - go there at all hours of the day and night to see what the noise and area is like.  What is dead quiet on a Wednesday may be party central Friday to Sunday!!!!

Sometimes it's noisy as hell on a Sunday morning and sometimes it's quiet. Depends on holidays and rain and all kinds of things. You just never know which is why it's fun fun fun! :)

Central Florida has about the same population as the D.R.. Shootings, murders, arsons, rapes, home invasions, hit & runs, assults, robberies, burglerys  etc occur EVERY DAY IN CENTRAL FLORIDA !   The D.R. is relatively crime free compared to here.  Count your blessings as I'm shortly going to be doing.   This country is on a rapid slide to hell with no way to stop it.   51 % of the people on public handouts.  Most of them never having contributed to the system,  many are illegals,  many are crooks.  And they are after Sherrif Joe Arpaio (Arizona) because he wants to uphold the law.  Sure there is crime  but not as bad as many other places on earth.   Relax,  have a beer or r/c  & stay out of the bad areas.

@ gypsy
Oh yeah forgot you live in trigger happy US :-) seems daily shootings are routine these days  and if the robbers dont shoot you the cops will :-)

Fortunately Europe is not that bad ,,,not yet anyway,  but were working on it :-)

Our Muslim friends are trying very hard to make daily shootings and murder a way of life,  like Denmark 2 days ago and Paris the other week...

and there are other problems like central London is now purely for the rich, house prices so high the original Londoners are being driven out by rich Arabs, Russians ,etc  even had cases where poorer people were forced to relocate to other cities up North, like Manchester. Liverpool. because rents are so high, authorities refuse to pay housing benefits. Welcome to the 21st century !
yeah think youre right, DR aint perfect, but its not so bad compared to other places!