Harare vs. Lusaka

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum, so I apologize if I don't have the category quite right. My husband and I may have an opportunity to go live overseas for his work for a few years. Harare, Lusaka and Pretoria are potential options (housing would be provided).

We currently live in Washington DC. We're a couple in our late 20's with dogs, and are planning to expand our family in the near future. I would say we're more of a laid back couple -- we're into things like cooking, soccer and relaxing at our house with friends.

Any thoughts on how Harare might stack up to Lusaka and Pretoria? How does cost-of-living compare? Which would be better if we have a young baby in tow? Obviously there are safety issues in all cities, but any specific issues I should be aware of?

Any advice or insights you could provide would be great.

Thanks!

JenJones24 wrote:

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum, so I apologize if I don't have the category quite right. My husband and I may have an opportunity to go live overseas for his work for a few years. Harare, Lusaka and Pretoria are potential options (housing would be provided).

We currently live in Washington DC. We're a couple in our late 20's with dogs, and are planning to expand our family in the near future. I would say we're more of a laid back couple -- we're into things like cooking, soccer and relaxing at our house with friends.

Any thoughts on how Harare might stack up to Lusaka and Pretoria? How does cost-of-living compare? Which would be better if we have a young baby in tow? Obviously there are safety issues in all cities, but any specific issues I should be aware of?

Any advice or insights you could provide would be great.

Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the forum

I suggest you check out the following website for cost of living. The site also gives information about crime and other things of interest to potential expats.   www.numbeo.com  Initially it takes a bit of navigating to use it but very informative. 
Good luck with your move.