ESL - crackdown in Quang Ninh province a sign of things to come?

There have been raids by Immigration police. How is the situation in your province?

Can someone confirm that one needs to return to one's home country to apply for a B-Visa? In addition, that one needs a labour contract to get such a Visa? (Does that mean that language centers cannot wait a few weeks before starting the WP process?)

A colleague did his Visa run to Laos. That was in January - and Laos wasn't his home country. Nor did he have a labour contract. I'm stymied.

This sounds like a nightmare for employers. No more probationary periods? cost of WP hassle before someone even flies over to start working?!?

I think I'll opt out and return as a genuine tourist... What's your take?

I am not a teacher and live in NT. No problems there, where the paper works are done. A few month ago I had to go some some Labour guy. He only did want to know, why we have a such a "high" number of foreigners employed. I explained short a few of the reasons and next day he stamped the the new work permit.
Nothing else needed. There are no problems for employers to hire a foreigner if all papers of the company are fine AND taxes paid.

Contact directly the Government immigration..
They are very helpful and courteous..
I deal with them and apply to a new visa that was granted in less than 48 hours
I am very happy with the results
And Please...!
Don't believe all talks they bull...!
Good luck