Living in Loja

My fiance, Terry, and I are very excited about the possibility of retiring to Ecuador. Loja looks like a wonderful community. Does anyone know about housing rentals in this area or having any other feedback?

Thanks! And Keep A Song In Your Heart!

Julie

julieandterry wrote:

Loja looks like a wonderful community. Does anyone know about housing rentals in this area or having any other feedback?

Thanks! And Keep A Song In Your Heart!

It's great that you have an upbeat, forward-looking attitude, Julie, after losing your savings as you told us at the New Members thread.

There have been some threads* on this blog about moving to and living in Loja.  For example:  "Anybody Living in Vilcabamba or Loja...." and "Loja Ecuador May Well Be My Home."

Loja has been described as Cuenca but warmer.  It's about 1,500 feet lower in altitude than Cuenca.

Keep in mind that Loja is extremely Ecuadorian in this respect:  few Gringos, little English being spoken.  It could be a challenge living there if your espanol is not Loja-ready.  The outlier report I have seen was from an International Living reporter last year who claimed that the first three locals he encountered -- all Ecuadorians -- spoke to him in English.  Even that reporter said that decent espanol is needed in Loja.

So check out the pueblo of Vilcabamba as well.  Just 20-some miles down the road from Loja, it attracts lots of Gringo Expats.  Its New Age flavor and Gringo population attract some folks, or could repel others.

Loja's altitude is maybe 20 percent higher than the median altitude in your city-valley.  So don't rush into any commitments until you've been in Loja long enough to judge your boyfriend's adjustment.

*To reach those existing threads, type at least a few of the words from the thread into the Expat.com box at the top of this page, and then click on the search icon to the right of said box.

cccmedia in Quito

Thanks! I'll follow those threads.