Bringing dog

We will be moving to Ethiopia this summer. We would like to bring our dog. Any tips on how to get this started or how the process works

Hello Ethiopiaexpatmom and welcome to Expat.com

While waiting for some members to shed some light on your query, i invite you to read this post which might help you a little bit : Bringing dog to Ethiopia

Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Bringing dog to Ethiopia.
1, Start well in advance, i.e. several months
2. Get a passport and the necessary vaccinations for your dog
3. Seek authority via your nearest embassy, authority is needed from both the Ministry of Agriculture and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
4. Not unlikely that you will not hear from them, so if you have contacts in Addis ask them for helt
5. We never received any authorisation from these ministries, but got a kind of Visa for the dog written in Amharic by the embassy.
6. We entered the country with the dog's passport and the "visa" and managed to go through the customs.
This was in 2011 and I must say that Ethiopia is probably the most difficult country to bring in a dog to, all categories.
7 Hopefully they have made the entry somewhat smoother over the years, so check that carefully, perhaps they do accept the passport nowadays.

Good luck!

I've just arrived in Addis & am in the process of bringing my dog into the country.  Ive been working with a vet that was recommended to me by previous Addis expats....he's been a huge help & simplified the whole process.  Name is Dr Dawit email [email protected].

Hello, did you succeed to bring your dog in ethiopia ? What are the mandatory demarches you had to do ? Now long did it tale to do the papiers ? Was your dog fine at the arrival in the airport ? Thanks a lot for your answer

Hi, my dog arrived safely.  Paperwork was relatively easy as he was up to date on his jabs.  I just needed an official letter from a government department from the country I was coming from & an importation letter from Ethiopia....Both were done by the local vets. Talking to other people,  the trickiest part is getting them out of customs here.  The paperwork when they arrive is terrible & what they don't tell you is that someone needs to inspect the dog (they didn't take mine out of his cage, but he was sounding pretty ferocious!).  But 3 hours later he was home safe & sound.  One thing to consider when bringing a pet here is that it is very difficult to find dog food....I bring 2 suitcases worth every time I travel. Also bring basic things like flea & tick treatment as it's not available.  Hope this helps. Jane

Hi, thanks a lot for your helpfull answer.
How are the ethiopian people with the dog, (because having a dog must be unusual in Ethiopia) ?
Can you have a walk in the streets with your dog, can you take the bus with ?