Collecting money - Filipino making $ 800 as a teacher

How does debt collection work when foreigners are the parties?

I don't think it works really.

I've had suppliers owe me 80k usd for 6 months and nothing happens.. In the same way,  I've owed others lots of money as well, as I don't see why I should pay until I've been paid.

Trying to collect is impossible, for the person that owes me and the people I owe to.

For 800usd? I think you should try to kick a big fuss at their office or something like that. Make it easier to pay you as opposed to deal with you.

Welcome to vietnam.

If the other party still answers your call, you have a chance of persuading your $800 back.

Otherwise, forget about it. Take it as a lesson learnt.

Try getting the $800 from someone else. :D

if it is about a former employer and they still trading, then you might have a small chance via the labour office, assuming:
- you have/had a valid contract
- your paper work is/fine

@I3ully let me just say there are shades of grey.

FYI, i asked the Labour Dept. and they referred me to the Education Dept. Those people need a contract and that particular language center's MO has been to never ever pay any of its foreign teachers.

LAC VIET in Uong Bi City, Quang Ninh province. Advertizing as being located in "Halong Bay".
There are lots of weird operators out there. One owner posed as "the manager". He <guaranteed $ 1,000> and it turns out to be a tiny house with the dining cum living room functioning as classroom. Was shown a contract requiring a payment of millions up front...

advice for jobseekers
* one key question will be does this center have the hours to give you a full-time salary?
* What books are they using? (Run when the answer is "Crazy English" or "Popo Do")
* Multimedia? They might have TVs, but then no loudspeakers - you get the drift.
* Pay to play? VN teachers are routinely asked to pay a kickback to get a job. for foreign teachers at a particular center, they thought up some sneaky scheme where the foreigners gets suckered. While the contract has some clause requiring the "director's consent to ending the employment", they tell the teachers that they will get a <loan to the owner> back with their last pay check.

Errm, last pay check? Payday was on the 10th. You guessed it, no payment, not even some excuses.

What's puzzling is that some division of the (Immigration?) Police has a genuine interest in the well being of foreign employees. They came round to inspect the digs and the center lied about the accommodation. I think they would have been forced to rent a room in some hotel...

I posted a thread on dodgy VN English Schools a couple of weeks ago, please add this school, ( we are not supposed to mention any names, don't be surprised if your post has/will be deleted. Put Quang Ngai in the search bar and it should come up ).

Could you please send me a link? Stuff came up but it was not what you mentioned here...

Thank you in advance!