Chances of getting a job without the TEFL qualification?

Evening ladies and gents. New to this so I'm probably posting in the wrong place,but was just wondering what you think the chances of me getting a job in Hanoi without the TEFL course under my belt are?

I'm an English grad with a little English teaching experience back home (GCSE level, not as a foreign language). Scouring the internet I've had a few mixed responses from it is completely essential to not at all.

I'm in Nha Trang at the minute, will be in Hanoi in around 3 weeks. My money is drying up fast so I'll need something as soon as possible.

So it worth splashing out on the TEFL course and live off 2k dong waffles for a few weeks or will I get a job?

Cheers  and happy derby day  :D

You didn't say what your degree was in. Universities hire uni grads - and they get more money and more steady employment. And I agree, the south - south of Vinh - is the better place to look.

Ha Noi is colder, both in temperature and temperament. But worth a visit - at least once.

Cheers for the replies, I have spent some time in hcmc and am basically moving gradually up north, visiting hoi an hue etc so it just makes more sense for me to settle in Hanoi for the time being. Also, my degree is in English, will this help? And yeah, I am white British.

Why even bother with the question, much less the hassle?  The TEFL is trivially easy to get

Why bother asking a question I wanted an answer to? Hmm.

And derby day as in Liverpool vs Everton  ;)